There are newer employer reviews for Mars

A good stepping stone.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hackettstown, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Mars is a very established company. If your career path is along the lines of typical corporate ones, such as finance and marketing, there are lots of opportunities to move around and get involved in different projects.

Cons

If you are a contractor, as I was, you are pigeonholed in one spot with little latitude to move around, or into a FT spot. You are clearly a second hand citizen too. Mars is also very informal, not big at all on written documentation and paperwork for doing projects. Project management is mostly conversations done standing around a desk looking at a project. Done on the fly too. No drafted specs.

More formality would help keep project details straight and everyone aligned on the same vision.

269 Other Employee Reviews for Mars (View Most Recent)

If you don't like open offices and being interrupted all the time, STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Commercial Manager, IT
    Former Employee - Commercial Manager, IT

I worked at Mars as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Relatively short commute. Business casual, Free Candy! Show some self-control or gain a lot of weight. Free hot cocoa and coffee in the Flavia machines.

Cons

I was a contractor in a Contract To Hire Role. They reneged on hiring me and a colleague, re-posted the position and then hired an external candidate. Constant reminder of Contractor status in cafeteria by having to pay a 20% premium for mediocre food. When it served Mars management's purposes, they expected me to act like and employee, attending all of their after hours meetings and team building exercises. As a contractor, these intruded on my personal life and I told them that. They were not paying me OT, but expected me to behave like a salaried employee.

The original salary they offered me when I applied to be an FTE was WELL BELOW market for the northern NJ area in which I live and they operate. Then, the hourly rate was the same and I declined. They finally gave me what I asked for.

When it came time for me to re-interview for the same role after a year onboard as a CTH, they reneged on their commitment to have us only compete against internal applicants. Well, there were none for the Commercial Sourcing Group (Procurement) in Information Services due to the inept and cliquey management team in the USA and UK, so they went external. I was forced to watch as 10 external candidates marched by desk to interview and I interviewed last.

Quite frankly, when they informed me I had NOT been selected, I was relieved as I had made up my mind to not accept their offer to convert to an FTE.

BTW, I HATED the open office environment; it is noisy, disruptive and when someone comes to your desk, you are expected to drop everything to service them. This is annoying and counterproductive, especially for procurement personnel who may be involved in a telephone negotiation.

There are 3 types of people at MARS. The first love it and make careers there. The second are those like me who hated it and don't last long and the third are those who "tolerate it" but also have a tendency to either self-eliminate by finding other employment or don't live up to the 5 Principles in some vague way and are removed.

MARS had a huge downsizing after acquiring WRIGLEY as there were a lot of redundant positions. Both MARS and Wrigley people lost jobs but the Wrigley folks were in almost universal agreement that they hated the new company owners. As a result they did not work well with colleagues from MARS business units or their vendors and created very dysfunctional working relationships.

All in all, they did me 2 favors not selecting me. One was that I didn't have to turn them down and the second was that I left two weeks later after continued abuse by my manager who left for the UK and Germany the day the new guy started and I (as the Contractor he had beat out for the job had to onboard an employee).

Why bother, the Mars family owns the company and the mid and senior level managers, many of whom are Europeans and run things for their little cliques, so American workers have to put with inane policies that will not ever change.

If you like being micro managed this is a great job

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Mars full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money is good and it's nice to have a company car. There are still some great people there who have a great work ethic.

Cons

Too much restructuring. They step over a dollar to save a nickle. For a family company, it sure seems corporate. No one ever gets an Outstanding or Exceeds Expectations on a review. The most you can hope for on a raise is 3%.

You have let human resources or P&O ruin the company. It's not to late to take it back.

There are newer employer reviews for Mars

Worked for Mars? Contribute to the Community!