Mars

www.mars.com
  www.mars.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mars

Mars Inc was a great place to work, plenty of opportunities for advancement and personal development.

Former Employee - Regional Infrastructure Manager in Waco, TX
Former Employee - Regional Infrastructure Manager in Waco, TX

I worked at Mars

Pros

Open and frequent communications from senior management. Solid excellent strategies that management was able to communicate and get all associates to commit to as well. Excellent benefits and sincere concern for their associates.

Cons

As the organization continues towards a Management structure that reduces the amount of family influence they need to guard against becoming just another company and away from the very special family run business formulated by core principles that is one of the many foundations for their success.

Launch a program that brings back the 5 principles. Recognize the importance of the manufacturing facilities and what they contribute to the business

311 Other Employee Reviews for Mars (View Most Recent)

It was once a great place to work...NO MORE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Mars

Pros

Strong Brand recognition and fun products to sell
    Limited benefits for part time associates

Cons

New leadership team prefers to hire externally over promoting within. The latest technique is to demote associates who have been doing a job for sometimes many years to a lower position and require them to train their replacement.
    New leadership team is so business focused that the principals established by the founder's are no longer important, people are no longer important...just the bottom line.
    It used to be a fun enviorment to work, No longer. There is no praise for a job well done just critisizsm for what is not being done fast enough.

Stop treating associates like underlings, unqualified, and stupid. Lose the attitude that everything that was done before you started was wrong and that you are there to correct it all.
    Treat people with respect.

M&M's and Snickers will keep Mars running forever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at Mars

Pros

-Decent pay/benefits/vacation, although pay needs restructuring to keep up with competitors
    -Excellent place to start career
    -Great people (happy hours, etc)
    -Can learn a lot in short period of time if motivated
    -Exceptional brands
    -Fast pace keeps you on your toes and ready for anything

Cons

-Quite political
    -Almost always sacrifice wiser long-term decisions for quick fixes
    -Upper management often promotes ideas they don't follow through on, more specifically...has goals but doesn't have clear vision of how to get there
    -Uncertain future, company losing it's luster
    -Marketing doesn't know or show much interest in how rest of the cross-functional business units work
    -Focus on cost-cutting everything often holds us back from potentially brilliant decisions

Company is extremely lean. Associates overwhelmed in some cases teaching their managers how to do their job. We hire externally in cases in which internal associates are well equipped and long overdue for a promotion, then wonder why the external hire didn't fit our culture. I would take a look at the great caliber of talent that already exists and promote. Frankly, without the M&M and Snicker cash cows keeping us going, this company would be lost. Forrest Mars is the reason we have continued success.

There are newer employer reviews for Mars