There are newer employer reviews for Marsh

Decent people, distant management

Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Marsh full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Marsh has treated me well - they let me work on what I want and provide every possible benefit. The culture is OK as well - it is virtually unheard of for anyone to raise their voice or be rude to anyone. You get every benefit known to mankind, and late night/weekend work is rare these days

Cons

Frequent layoffs, endless pay freezes, senior management gets large bonuses but other employees get nothing unless you know someone. The company wastes money on endless fashionable management initiatives and rebranding but will not spend a penny on infrastructure applications. The bureaucracy can make you crazy. Women and minorities do not get promoted. There is absolutely no training and virtually no career path.

Advice to Management

Get more involved with day to day activity - I have never seen any of the current "C" level management in person. Enough with rebranding and internal marketing initiatives -- the core systems are rotting and costing a fortune. Outsourcing IT is not saving money - you are getting less work for more money and have no ongoing knowledge of systems.

reviews filtered by

Good Company if you don't stay too long

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well, excellent benefits, some odd management decisions

Cons

future strategy somewhat unclear to staff

Never again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh

Pros

Large and recognized firm within the insurance industry. Pay is decent. Benefits are good. Time off is pretty good also.

Cons

Horrible co-workers. Everyone is a vice president and thinks they are important and too busy to do anything. SVPs and MDs don't want to do anything either. Everyone has the attitude that they are more important than the next person, even the admins. HR is non-existent and useless but that's pretty much any company. People with bad attitudes get rewarded because their manager's have even worse attitudes. Vicious cycle.

Advice to Management

I know they have been working on the boys club mentality for a while but clearly nothing there has changed and it continues to be the boys club with a woman and minority thrown in for good measure.

There are newer employer reviews for Marsh