There are newer employer reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies

Terrible HR Department

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY
Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They try to value their employees by promoting from within. Working in recruitment I saw many times over that when a position would open up they would try to promote someone at a lower level. Compensation seemed to be competitive across the organization.

I had a good manager.

Cons

Technology is awful. The joke around the office is that if you start with a laptop on your first day then you're ahead of the game. Resources to help you get your job done are not easily accessible at all.

While I did meet some very nice people, I would say there were quite a large number of people I did not enjoy working with and I would hesitate to label a lot of the people there as "professionals". Many people are very catty, negative, quick to blame everyone else if something goes wrong, they tend to write unprofessional and snooty e-mails. A lot of talking behind each others backs (more-so than in other organizations). People are clearly over-worked and a lot of people seem to have a zombie-like look because they are worn out and don't want to be there. I don't think I ever really heard someone say they fully enjoyed working there. No one seems to know what is going on, responsibilities are often unclear and the question of "which department is this handled by?" gets asked VERY often. I'm not the only one that feels this way, many people that work there felt the same way.

I was on contract for 5 months and was miserable the majority of the time that I was there. They had me doing the work of two people then let me go and was told they were transitioning my responsibilities to someone else. I found out later they hired another temp to replace me? The quality of my work was fine considering all the things I had to deal with and keep track of, so that could not have been the reason to let me go. I was told that I was unable to log over-time hours unless those hours were prior-approved.

Had I been offered full-time employment I would have turned it down. I'm happier being unemployed than having to work in that environment. My advice would be to stay away and save yourself the headache.

You have a culture problem in this organization. For a company that has been around as long as MMC you should have had your act together a long time ago.

315 Other Employee Reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies (View Most Recent)

Certificate Specialist at Marsh McLennan in Austin, TX

Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Marsh McLennan was very welcoming when I started. I was excited to get benefits after 30 days. The people were nice and the Austin office is cool.

Cons

After 2 weeks of in class training, they give a test. I scored very close to the passing grade but they let me go. No wonder they are always looking for people. High turnover is what I gathered when I was working there. The pay is not good at all for the amount of stress.

Management seems really nice. I think the Certificate Specialist tests should be a bit easier. The actual cases are less hard than the actual tests given.

MMC helps you stomach the grossness of Corporate America

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Good salary
    Nice people
    They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)
    They hire artists
    Great benefits
    Access to a lot of education

Cons

Corporate America is disgusting
    Kind of cheap w/ basic office perks unless you are on top exec floor

I loved my management. Worked in the corporate legal dept. and they were respectful and kind.

There are newer employer reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies