Marsh & McLennan Companies

www.marsh.com
  www.marsh.com
There are newer employer reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies

Good company with good people

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Work culture in the office

Cons

bonus is less than I would expect

no current advice to managment

318 Other Employee Reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies (View Most Recent)

Losing Talent and Focus

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

Cons

In an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers.

Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Try actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

Its a paycheck

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a good reputation in the industry. Global platform. Its a paycheck. Not micromanaged.

Cons

Too much beaurocracy. New York has to approve everything. Too many managers, too many people with titles. Compensation is awful, raises and bonuses almost unheard of except for producers and top management.

Cliquish, cant get ahead if you are not part of the in crowd. Entire departments outsourced to India, no job security at all. Anyone can get let go any day of the week.

Employees are treated as expendable and are not valued. Turnover seems to be high, probably because of compensation. Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management.

Middle managers cannot get anything done without levels of approval above them. They also seem so worried about their own jobs, they are afraid to speak up or take initiative.

HR appears to be a ghost department. One has no idea who to call or if there is anyone to call.

Terrible inefficiencies in invoiving and accounting. Embarrasing to call clients asking for payment when they have already paid and accounting cant find their money.

Company seems more interested in pouring money into marketing and technology initiatives than retaining talented employees.

You cannot ever telecommute. If you have an appointment, you have to take the whole day off.

A little value of employees goes a long way in morale and productivity. Stop the rah rah meetings until you can compensate people that are actually doing the work to make it a profitable company.

There are newer employer reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies