Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Former Employee - Insurance Broker
Former Employee - Insurance Broker

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

Cons

Value external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing?? I thought I was paying for expertise??"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no positive things to say about working here!

Cons

No raises, focused more on rewarding management than those actually doing the work

Advice to Management

You need to realize who is actually doing the work and stop rewarding those who aren't!

2. Fantastic Employer, with great colleagues

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Colleagues. The benefits are amazing and the leadership is the best in the industry. The company is worldwide and has more of a partnership philosophy. The colleagues in my office have an average of 25 years experience in the industry and take pride in their job. The knowledge among the colleagues and teams are a huge asset and a great resource.

Cons

The challenges are the company is large and there a several processes to work through get a simple task completed. This in result makes it very difficult to manage a task or project in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who are out there actually working with the clients. Those individuals know what the clients want and how they want the services delivered.