Marshalls

Corporate is probably a better place than Distribution Center

Former Employee - Supervisor
Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

Works only 3 days a week (Friday - Sunday), which can be a downside for some people. It's a big company (TJX), something to put on resume

Cons

Promotion is not merit based. It is who you know not what you know that get you a promotion. I know some people who stay on the same position and never move up despite being better employees than others.
Management often have high expectations but provide inadequate resources to accomplish those expectations. It's hard to motivate associates when they do not get rewards for going extra miles.

Provide adequate resources so your employees can meet the expectations

498 Other Employee Reviews for Marshalls (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, if you don't mind working hard

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

No matter what department you choose to work in, you always have opportunities for bonuses, or rewards, based on the current in store promotions, provided you have the opportunity to work as a cashier. I worked in the shoe department, but I was often called to help with checking out the customers, especially when it was crowded. Each time you ring up a customers' order, you have an opportunity to offer the current in store promotions, and if you meet the requirements, you can get rewards. I started as a merchandise associate, and with hard work, and the wonderful managerial team there that took notice of my efforts, I was eventually offered a coordinator position, which meant more hours, and higher pay. So if you work hard, and take the time to learn your department, there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

All I wanted was a full time schedule, which was difficult to get. There didn't seem to be enough hours to go around, and they were constantly hiring new employees, which seemed to contribute to this dilemma. On average I'd say I would get about 10-15 hours a week, when I first started there, but later on, I was offered a better position, and did get better hours.

Overall my experience there is good. No a hard job.

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

A great First time job to make a little money.

Cons

Their not great at training you properly.

There are newer employer reviews for Marshalls