Nothing Special, It's Just Okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Hours, and Other Employees

Cons

Management, Soliciting Credit, Other Employees, Pay and payroll

Advice to Management

Build a team, don't play a game of everybody for themselves
Stop trying to push the credit card so much, we're not a credit card company
Try and schedule enough people to be able to handle the business so people can get stuff done

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disconnected Upper Management

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Totowa, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Totowa, NJ

I worked at Marshalls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on name brand items. Very hard to get fired from this company. If your hourly they work around your schedules. The benefits are not the best but they certainly are not the worse either. There is room to negotiate your salary get as much as possible upfront if you choose this company.

Cons

So many Cons. When your store is visited its crazy I have worked 20, 24 and 30 hour straight shifts and if you complain its frown upon. There are old time managers that don't do anything and your expected to clean up the mess. Prepare to be in slavery because of visits from VP's. The DM will also come and work with you cleaning it up so we can show them a pretend store.. Customers constantly switch tickets and prices and act like they didn't. I have worked all areas of the store and they will put you on "FAST TRACK" and make you think your getting promoted but actually its just a way to get you to do more. Unloading the rapid receiving truck at 6am three times a week then your expected to get everything out in 24 hours with just a couple people. I usually opened with myself and 1 cashier and 1 in fitting room for a 15 million a year store then close with one in shoes, fitting room, mens side and cashier side. Go back racks are crazy like 5-10 a night in returns.. Mens Manager covers kids, infants, boys, young mens and mens departments and puts out like 30 rolling racks of frieght 3x a week. You get 1 associate to put out goods and clean up. Its the same for ladies side they get 1 person and about 40 plus racks and all of the managers have to do 2 hour manager on duty shifts and basically be cashiers while making sure all the associates get breaks. You will work enormous hours as a salary manager, Basically if you want to know what it is like working in China choose this company . I wont even bring up mega shoe what a mess. These people work you to death 300+ boxes of shoes and they will constantly knit pick the loss prevention practices which you barely have time to do.

Advice to Management

Other than when you visit the stores they are always a mess. Stop acting like you don't know that. You should tell your District Managers not to put on a show since every one even customers knows Marshall's is a hot mess. This is why managers leave you. Expecting 24-30 hours straight from someone will only get us to keep quitting. This is why your management turnover is so high. Get rid of the dead wood managers and promote the ones who work hard.

Lacking career opportunities for employees with experience

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

flexible hours
    metro accessible
    friendly customers
    good workers

Cons

no opportunity for growth
    low pay
    not good management

Advice to Management

increase pay according to experience