Marshalls

There are newer employer reviews for Marshalls

Working at AJ Wright/Marshalls

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Marshalls full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility and dealing with slacker employees

Cons

No full time hours.Very Anti union

515 Other Employee Reviews for Marshalls (View Most Recent)

Poor District Management

Current Employee - Retail Management
    Current Employee - Retail Management

I have been working at Marshalls full-time

Pros

I've met some incredible managers throughout the system. Marshalls will end up losing many of them as the economy improves because they are just too good to tolerate poor decision making at the district, regional and zone levels. People are leaving my District due to poor management and a general lack of ethics and morality.

Cons

Life/Work Balance is horrific
    Low pay for comparable performance at other big box retailers
    Completing hourly associate tasks in order to keep the store running
    High Turnover
    Overbearing/Micromanaging District Manager
    Lack of payroll
    Horrible Rate of Pay for associates
    Lack of training materials to assist associates
    e-library, skills testing and training materials out of date
    "Blocker" managers that are allowed to treat associates poorly just because they are "long term employees"
    Growth without vision or well thought out strategy
    Out of date Point of Sale and computer systems
    Ridiculous packing at the DC allows for damages/shortages without any accountability
    Ridiculously long time to hold salaried managers accountable for poor performance
    Lack of product flowing through the stores that customers really want to buy due to a better economy (sourcing)
    General lack of ethics and morality despite bragging about their "open door" policy and philosophy

When a district is receiving multiple "Open Door" complaints from store managers and the loss prevention teams are all quitting you might want to escalate your investigations. The issues are not going away when a District Manager and DPLM are allowed to make decisions that are counter intuitive to the actual metrics of the buildings and are blatantly retaliatory. Don't be surprised when you're faced with additional people joining the current class action suits and initiating new suits due to issues within your District and Regional teams.

I currently work part-time for Marshalls.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Marshalls allows you to choose which hours and days are best for you to be scheduled to work. They encourage you to approach management with any concerns or dissatisfactions.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage. Last year I received an "average" rating in my review. I am not an average worker; I always try my best to help every customer that approaches me and go out of my way to find what they need. My "average" rating got me a 13 cent per hour raise, which is insulting. I was, however, offered the chance to apply to become a coordinator. I turned it down, mainly because the operations manager is a very difficult man to work with. He is very insulting, unprofessional, and condescending and I would not want to work any more closely with him than I am currently required. My main complaint with our store is that most of the time there is no loss-prevention representative, and no security. We have shoplifters come in very frequently. Two days ago, at closing time with just five female employees working, six thugs came in, stated that they had a gun, and went around the store hollering. When they left, they said they'd be back the next day. I learned that not only were the police not contacted, but that management had not even mentioned the incident to the workers that weren't present, not giving them the opportunity to decide whether it was safe for them to continue to work at Marshalls.

You need to train the managers in "people skills". You need to pay the workers higher than minimum wage, and you need to make their yearly reviews meaningful by actually rewarding good work with a decent salary increase. Most important of all, you need to treat your employees the way you would want your loved ones to be treated: if a store desperately needs visible security, with an armed officer if necessary, you should provide it. You need a loss-prevention officer on duty at all times. The employees and customers need to see that you take their safety seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Marshalls