Marshfield Clinic

www.marshfieldclinic.org

Absolutely horrible

Physician (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

Pros-Some great people to work with.
-Physicians who care about patients.
-Low cost of living.
-Decent salary.
-Good retirement plan.

Cons-This was my fist position after residency. What a mistake!!

-The city is ok. It is isolated from large urban areas as it is in rural WI, but that was not what made my time with MC unbearable.

-The staff, for the most part, is very friendly. However, there were a significant number of MAs and RNs who made life a nightmare for physicians and other staff. Their attitude was dismal and their respect for patients and HIPPA non-existent. Many times I found them discussing protected health information between themselves while at lunch in a public location. Even after I informed the clinic management, nothing was done about it. This is unacceptable.

-The management is utterly useless. Concerns are not handled in a confidential manner and no results/consequences are ever discussed. In fact, decisions are made behind closed doors by HR, management and lawyers for the company before the employee is even aware that there is any type of complaint against them. The employee is not contacted or has a chance to give his/her side of the story at all. Once the decision is made, he/she is told of the results. Not good for morale.

-Clinic morale was at a low during this past year. There were numerous staff cuts (which were not disclosed to staff until after it was printed in a local newspaper) to different departments which made things worse in regards to clinic flow during the day. Many times I had to share a MA during the day with another physician. Poor girl was running around like a mad woman trying to juggle 4 exam rooms.

-Division medical directors (DMDs) are out of touch with the physicians who are actually working with patients. They have no idea what their long term goals are. They spend an enormous amount of time micromanaging and focusing on minutia that they miss the forest for the trees. The amount of time spent on salary discussions for individual physicians is ridiculous. They are unwilling to meet personally, instead choosing to deal mostly via email. In fact, a lot of the time, phone calls and messages go unanswered for weeks.

-Once again, DMDs only inform the employees of decisions once they have been made, usually by email, even if it is bad news. No one is willing to speak face to face.

-DMDs do not want you to develop your own plan for your professional development. Since they themselves do not know what they want, they can't tolerate providers making decisions about how to expand and grow their practice. You ideas will be dismissed.

-Others have talked about a bullying culture at this organizations. This is true. Not only does it happen from the top down, but also amongst the same level employees. The best performers are only rewarded with more work, not promotions or wage increase and those people who are mediocre at their job are often promoted due to their seniority in the organization.

-The situation has gotten so bad, that numerous physicians have left within the past year, with me being one of them. The smaller centers have almost no specialty coverage and a lot of the ones they had, are now gone.

Advice to Senior Management-Listen to your employees.
-Get rid of the numerous bad apples within your organization. Your clinic is rotting from within and you are not willing to fix that.
-Stop micromanaging. there are a lot of great physicians with great ideas within your organization. Listen to them or they will leave.
-Stop the bullying. You are losing great staff to it and keeping the bad ones.
-Discuss findings/complaints with the employee before a decision has been made by HR, management and lawyers who only got one side of the story.

Great company to grow and learn with

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great company to grow and learn with. Marshfield is for someone who is looking for a career and willing to do great things for… Cons: Low pay, high work, and high turn over in business… Advice to Senior Management: Pay the employees what their worth, lower management already recognizes… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Laudable mission; rich benefit package Cons: Some very questionable, undeserving people in relatively longstanding positions of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Marshfield Clinic.

Worked for Marshfield Clinic? Contribute to the Community!