Good solid company

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

High wattage installed inverters, generators, bunk ac/heating. Decent pay and now instant hourly pay for those shippers that like to make us sit at a dock for 14hrs. Management seems to be aware of what brings home the bacon and consequently takes better care of its drivers than any other trucking company I have been with.

Cons

Easy to get a bad reputation if you stand up for yourself with abusive customers or DOT officers. Dispatch and load planners need to understand there are some serious jerks out there messing with us truck drivers constantly. Young dispatchers need to know that we are working long hours away from home constantly with all of the responsibility and almost no authority. Pushing productivity to the max tends to put a bunch of stress on us and consequently we tend to be a bit grouchy at that point. Some dispatchers/load planners get that and make this job tolerable but those few that don't can make life a misery.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the pay increases, the nice truck equipment, not requiring us to chain, and helping us deal with the people out here who do their utmost to make life miserable. An offer of a 3 day local work week plan would allow me to have a life, wife, and family ; ) (36hr work week over three day)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

its a job

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

good trucks, steady work, no slip seating, take trucks home on home time, great benefits, great Insurance. some of the people will really work hard for you.

Cons

Sliding pay scale is hard to understand., A driver never really knows what they are making on a run. Dispatchers never answering the phone or return a phone call, Going to the shop and sitting for hours and days to get your truck worked on and receiving no pay for sitting. And getting any layover pay takes the grace of god to get.

Advice to Management

work with the drivers. because they are only human. Treat us like we are needed there and not just a number. Respect our home time and don't be calling us on our days off. We don't bother you when you are off. Make the fuel books alot like the old ones they were easier to read. and most of all remember if it was not for us drivers none of you would have a job.

2. Not enough freight to make a living, equipment was not in the best shape, they do not counsel you on your performance

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

I cannot say that they are any better than the next guy. They have excellent lay over pay, and if there were more freight you could probably make a living. My dispatcher was a great guy, green but a good guy.

Cons

Too much time in between loads, poor freight availability, and they possibly hire too many drivers so they have no problem letting people go, even in situations that cannot be avoided.

Advice to Management

I believe that this company is too quick to fire people. Maybe the powers that be should take into consideration that in inclement weather even the most seasoned drivers will have small incidents that are weather related.