There are newer employer reviews for Martha Stewart Living

Okay experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Martha Stewart Living as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Nice Coworkers, worked on a range of projects

Cons

Everyone ate at their desks, turnover was super high

reviews filtered by
  1. Miss it

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living

Pros

Great passion in the team

Cons

Laid off which totally ruined my future

Keep hiring the ones who love Mslo for what it is.

You'll probably get laid off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Listen, this isn't just sour grapes. MSLO has a ton of incredibly smart, incredibly creative people working there. For the most part, there are pretty good resources for people to work with, and they turn out some truly great work.

Cons

Where to start? Morale is so, so low. I've never seen such a bunch of miserable, depressed people in the same place. Part of this comes from the management style, basically a bunch of entitled managers with an overblown sense of importance who treat anyone below them (especially assistants) just horribly. Seriously, it's just this short of abusive.

The digital team does NOT seem to have it together at all. They restructure (and lay EVERYONE off) about every 9 months. Don't get me wrong: The current iteration of the site is truly great (see: incredibly smart people). But there isn't enough consistency among staff and management to sustain any growth.

Finally, turnover is EPIC. Yes, people leave because it's a miserable place to be, but it's mostly because when they decide to restructure, they pretty much lay everyone off and start over. They don't believe in retaining any institutional knowledge. It's a constant case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Is there anything that can actually be done? I doubt it. The culture is founded on the lack of respect and expendability of the people who toil to create the products, and that comes from the top. Bottom line: it's great on your resume, but you'll be miserable. And it ain't ever gonna change.

There are newer employer reviews for Martha Stewart Living