Marvell Technology

www.marvell.com
  www.marvell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Marvell Technology

Marvell - "the girl you proposed to not because she is the love of your life, but because you knew she'd say yes."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Chandler, AZ
Current Employee - Product Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Marvell Technology

Pros

Perks - they're trying to retain people - with stuff like free lunch, sodas, and a semi-annual friendly ping pong tournaments. Potentially, it could get some decent projects and revenue growth, and it has a solid revenue base, so the stock options may well be worth one's time...(are they ever anymore?)
As a moderate sized company, it still has some very small thinking (which can be refreshing, providing freedom) and yet...

Cons

401K contributions are lousy.
Turnover is generally high, especially in silicon valley
Sometimes that small company mentality (smaller mentality than it is) means the VP of Engineering has to approve your unix account...really???

The perception is that there is a buddy-buddy-club of good friends of Sehat (CEO and founder)...and that makes it somewhat of a joke from time to time.

401 Other Employee Reviews for Marvell Technology (View Most Recent)

Great Engineers, Management needs to build confidence

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Marvell Technology

Pros

Good Experience. Cutting edge design work. Marvell takes care of employees by providing good benefits and free food.

Cons

Higher than average stress environment.. Little reason to trust management

Management should work to regain the trust of employees who went through the option trading blackout.

Great engineers, great technology, great markets, great potential, but something's missing.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marvell Technology

Pros

Handheld and mobile computing business is an interesting market to play in. Good engineers with great ideas. An ongoing commitment to improve the product development cycle with regard to quality and time to market. It's great seeing our products being adopted by key customers, and even better to have those customers return to us for their next generation product needs. Great cross-collaboration between same-site project teams. A good mix of disciplines and career backgrounds provides well rounded development teams. Employees are encouraged to ask tough questions and demand honest answers, and management generally does its best to provide those answers. Remarkably little corporate B.S. as compared to other companies I have worked at.

Cons

Santa Clara is a newcomer in a business that the Austin (ex-Intel) site has plenty of experience, but Santa Clara often downplays or outright ignores the expertise and experience of the Austin site. Too much micromanagement, starting at the top. Before we make an offer to hire someone, the offer must first be personally approved by the CEO. This is fine in a small startup, but is a questionable practice in a company employing over 5000 people. I see some of my peers working insane overtime, which again might make sense in a pre-IPO startup, but given the stock performance level, I just don't understand the benefit of making such sacrifices.

Encourage your people to do what they do best, and then enable them to do it. Don't micromanage.

There are newer employer reviews for Marvell Technology