There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

This company is having it's best year ever, apparently. Many people go to work here because of the core values of the company and it's mission from it's founder - to enrich womens lives. Unfortunately, the real culture of the company isn't what it's portrayed to be from the outside looking in.

Cons

Political and backstabbing. I was given no feedback on my job performance. Too many managers are plotting with each other to keep their jobs while plotting to get others fired.

Meanwhile, they are not doing their jobs. They're making their employees do all their work which puts an incredible amount of pressure on the employees, who have no voice. They have no voice because the directors who oversee the managers give complete and blind support to their managers. This creates a large window of opportunity for abuse of power by the managers.

Take a serious look at your middle managers who've been there for 12+ years. Then take a serious look at their managers, the directors. Actually seek out your employee-level workers and begin to build a conversation with them. Create a culture that promotes fairness to everyone, not supreme rule by a few. Make it okay to talk to someone about their managers if they feel they are being mistreated and taken advantage of. Send the message to management that they are not "untouchable" - that they are accountable for the well being of their team members - not just the sales numbers. Make their employees' approval count for something. Make it a two-way street. Give your employees a voice because their managers aren't giving them one. Base their performance reviews on how their employees rate them.

305 Other Employee Reviews for Mary Kay (View Most Recent)

It has been okay but very challenging

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

You get to be your own boss and you learn the ropes of becoming a great manager. I loved it

Cons

One big problem is having to find, sell and keep your customers. Another problem is not having a good director

Make sure that you are head strong and you have the passion for the products that Mary Kay has for customers

Style over Substance

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Access to some great technology and great technologists. The premise of the organization is great, providing opportunities to enrich women's lives.

The pay and benefits are highly competitive (although things are getting tighter) and offices are beautiful.

Cons

Congruency of projects and efforts are frequently illconceived and misdirected. The organization is heavy on overhead types, weighing down on individual contributors.

I discovered I was burned by an "open door" discussion with a senior level leader, after a direct report to the manager being discussed shared points from the discussion (literally) 30 minutes later.
    There have been significant reductions in staff the past few years through attrition and buyouts.

Some of the most brilliant talent to walk through ANY organization has moved into and out of Mary Kay because your senior and middle managers. Your e-commerce department is a cult-of-personality. At least it seems like Supply Chain was required to prove ROI.

There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay