Recruiting and team building will not materialize for most consultants.

Current Employee - Team Leader
Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

The sales side of the business is very straight forward. The skin care and cosmetics are excellent products and women do love them. I reached a #5 sales ranking for my National Area.

Cons

I became disenchanted when recruiting became the main focus. Definitely pressured into buying too big of an inventory. Cult-like culture was a turn-off.

Let women embrace the sales aspect of the business rather than pushing them into team building.

Other Reviews for Mary Kay

Interesting Experience

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

Unlimited Potential for the right individual. You are your own boss therefore you create your own schedule and paycheck. Potiential is endless. Free Cars, Diamonds, and trip!

Cons

Will suck if you cannot see eye to eye with your Director. There is no way to switch Directors unless you sit out for an entire year. You will have to stock pile inventory even if you are not selling it as fast as it's coming in.

None, wonderful company if you are willing to work hard.

Always have to CYA

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Benefits, the employees - you build great relationships that last forever. The do a good job of 'locking you in' with the compensation because they well over market.

Cons

Eventhough they say we remain neutral, it's about management and protecting them, however, we do little to provide training to develop their skills. MK is a fear-based company that takes no ownership is developing great talent.

I think HR has a huge fault in this as well, because their is no accountablilty on their part to hold management to developing leaders and talented employees are brought on and then ideas are squashed because tenured employees feel threated. There is a lot of favoritism is HR as well with its leadership team, so it's tough to ask customers to act or be a certain way when they know HR give promotion based on looks, rather than skill and don't really have a hand in deciding on a termination.

There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay.

Worked for Mary Kay? Contribute to the Community!