I LOVE my Mary Kay!!

Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Plymouth, MN
Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are way too many pros to mention, but here are a few I love that I can be a part of a company that is founded on the principles of God first, family second, and career third; as well as the Golden Rule. In Mary Kay I have unlimited earning potential; I can earn free cars (including the prestigious pink Cadillac), my hard work is recognized, appreciated, and celebrated; I am becoming a stronger, more confident woman; I get to be my own boss and design my own life; no quotas, no sales territories, and lots of tax advantages; plus so much more.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

As an independent contractor, I'm my own boss of my own business, so there is no management over me.

Other Employee Reviews for Mary Kay

If you like to do everything by yourself, it's a great job

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great female social life if you're in the right unit with women your age If you have a good party, you can make unlimited amounts of cash

Cons

Talk about makeup and skin care all day, every day. You will be bombarded to the point of irritancy by emails, updates, specials, contests. Unreliable income - there's no pay. Your commission is your pay, so if you're not selling, your not making anything. The only way to make a career out of MK is to recruit others into your team, make commission off their sales, grow your team to move up in the company. If you stay at the beauty consultant level you are living from sale to sale. You have to buy the product first, you have to pay lots of $$ in samples, supplies, shipping, discounts. You don't really get the commission they say you will get because it's impossible to sell their product for such a steep price, so you end up giving away your commission in sales and discounts.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic with women about what they will need to do to really "make their MK dreams come true" before they invest in product inventory.

Re-energized and moving in exciting directions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are *amazing*!! Can we say "flex time"? Accomplishments are frequently and publicly celebrated, and personal development is strongly supported. In addition to academic reimbursement, there is an internal intern program that allows you to work 20 hours a week in any department. You can also spend a year rotating full-time among different teams.

Cons

The company may be more conservative than others in terms of taking risks with products. The company also doesn't invest very much in marketing or advertizing, so those teams have to be very creative with their small resource pool.