There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

Flexibility, balance, and a career all in one.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Truly wonderful getting to work for myself while helping to enrich and improve the lives of others.

Cons

Not enough consultant training by senior consultants on sharing whats worked and not worked for them to help and allow them to advance in the field.

reviews filtered by
  1. I LOVE my Mary Kay!!

Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are way too many pros to mention, but here are a few I love that I can be a part of a company that is founded on the principles of God first, family second, and career third; as well as the Golden Rule. In Mary Kay I have unlimited earning potential; I can earn free cars (including the prestigious pink Cadillac), my hard work is recognized, appreciated, and celebrated; I am becoming a stronger, more confident woman; I get to be my own boss and design my own life; no quotas, no sales territories, and lots of tax advantages; plus so much more.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

As an independent contractor, I'm my own boss of my own business, so there is no management over me.

2. If you like to do everything by yourself, it's a great job

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great female social life if you're in the right unit with women your age
    If you have a good party, you can make unlimited amounts of cash

Cons

Talk about makeup and skin care all day, every day. You will be bombarded to the point of irritancy by emails, updates, specials, contests.
    Unreliable income - there's no pay. Your commission is your pay, so if you're not selling, your not making anything.
    The only way to make a career out of MK is to recruit others into your team, make commission off their sales, grow your team to move up in the company. If you stay at the beauty consultant level you are living from sale to sale.
    You have to buy the product first, you have to pay lots of $$ in samples, supplies, shipping, discounts. You don't really get the commission they say you will get because it's impossible to sell their product for such a steep price, so you end up giving away your commission in sales and discounts.

Be more realistic with women about what they will need to do to really "make their MK dreams come true" before they invest in product inventory.

There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay