There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

Great job if you're not afraid of hard work and sales

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Naperville, IL
Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make your own hours and decide how hard you want to work. It's a very fun environment, lots of support, and you decide with whom you work.

Cons

It is very easy to over-order your inventory and get stuck with old product that you can not sell. You need to be ready and willing to find your own clientele, and able to build on your own network of customers in order to generate new connections. In order to advance, you need to build a large team of consultants underneath you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

4 stars not indicative of real company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good salaries and bonuses.

Cons

Everything. The 4 stars that this company has comes from the sales consultants and not from the people who actually work there. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Your "friends" are just waiting to stab you in the back. Employees are fired for the smallest things. If they don't like you, they will find some way to get rid of you. Just don't ever work for this company. Mary Kay would roll over in her grave if she knew how employees were being treated now.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with dignity and respect. Actual corportate culture is the opposite of what they say their values are. Do what you say you will.

Mary Kay is an amazing opportunity for those who are driven and self-motivated.

Current Employee - Future Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Future Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is second to none. I work with wonderful positive people who are supportive and inspiring. My income is based on my effort and I love it! If I want to make $100,000 this year then $100,000 it is.

Cons

The challenges are that you have to work hard. You can't just skate along like a corporate job and collect a paycheck. The upside is the more you work the more your paid whereas on salary no matter how much or how little you work your check is the same.