Mary Kay

www.marykay.com
  www.marykay.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

making your own schedule is fabulous

Current Employee - Business Owner in Saddle Brook, NJ
Current Employee - Business Owner in Saddle Brook, NJ

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get to work as much or as little as you want

Cons

organization and a small sense of bussiness details are needed

320 Other Employee Reviews for Mary Kay (View Most Recent)

This is the real deal

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

The company culture is about caring and work-life balance. And unlike many companies, this is not just lip service.

Cons

Quite a few layers of bureaucracy. The gigantic IT department is fragmented and it is difficult to figure out who is responsible for anything technically related. They try to treat every technical need as a "help desk" problem and are not inclined to provide deep solutions.

Try to flatten the company hierarchy a little. The IT department needs to hold some meetings with the corporate employees to figure out what their needs are and how to connect to the rest of the company.

I am an Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I choose to just sell to friends and enjoy the wholesale price of a product I like. I'm mostly into skin care, lip color, lotions and my absolute favorite perfume, Bella Bellara. My friends (and long-time customers) use product across the spectrum - skin care to color. I'm not ambitious or sales-driven and don't have the stress of quota ordering, only getting what I need when I need it. That is the level I stay at and Mary Kay offers that as a wonderful option. No pressure. For those who are sales-driven, have management experience and don't allow themselves to quit, the sky truly is the limit in this company. Mary Kay Ash is proof that determination spells success.

Cons

As in any business, if someone thinks they can "get rich quick" by wishing for it, they'll be disappointed. I have family and friends who have risen to the position of Sales Director after working steadily, but after a while, stepped back and continued as Consultants, because the UNIQUE nature of this business (having ready product to sell on the spot) requires personally purchasing inventory. If one is not continually selling or recruiting, it can be disappointing and stressful to keep up with required quota which of course is designed to propel Consultants and Directors to greater financial rewards. Understandably, status quo or better equals continuous pressure to succeed by exceeding. Some simply can't handle the pressure, if they're not suited for self-employment.

Directors need to be careful to level with their respective recruits, otherwise there IS disappointment and in some cases feeling of failure on the part of Consultants who, through no fault of their own, have not been properly trained and educated in the business. That said, I know some FABULOUS and DESERVEDLY SUCCESSFUL Sales Directors and for SURE, National Sales Directors.

There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay