This is the entertainment business after all!

Current Employee - Dispatch  in  Hanover, MD
Current Employee - Dispatch in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Maryland Live Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

Note: I've worked at many entertainment companies including a movie theatre, alcohol distributors, and talent scouting. When comparing the stress, pay, respect, and black out days, Maryland Live is easily in last place but I know what to expect with this industry. If you're not used to working in the entrainment industry you're in for a rude awakening. (Unless you're going to be a salaried/management employee)

Outward praise for good work.
Prizes awarded to employees.
Cheap medical, dental, vision, and 401k for FT employees.
Healthcare benefits now offered for PT employees post Obamacare.
Cheap dining. One could have 3 full meals for $4!
Many ways to move up in the company without college degree or former casino experience.
Ability to move to different departments and jobs if unsatisfied currently and qualified.
Employees of all cultures and backgrounds.
Many shifts to choose from to fit your personal needs.
Culture of togetherness.

Cons

Point system for attendance with non-salaried employees. If you're late, call out, or have to leave early for any reason(Emergency or not), you will be pointed between .5 and 2.0 points. Terminated at 10!
Employees can be extremely rude and ignorant.
Many "black out" days where you cannot request off. Black out days include ALL major Christian and American secular holidays.
In non- salaried jobs you will be on your feet for your entire Shift except for 2 breaks.
Very low pay! Very low pay!
Thin poor quality uniforms.
Gaming license is expensive.
Union membership is required of slots, dealers, and F&B employees. Taken out every check although union representatives are never seen after orientation. (To be fair, this isn't the casino's responsibility.)

We love the interchange meetings, however, you should have meetings with members of each department to hear their concerns. If an employee has a problem with their departmental management, they cannot feel secure in making a complaint to said management.

Make HR, payroll, and clinic services available to grave shift(overnight) and weekend employees. If I need paperwork or my paycheck isn't right, I have to wait until M-F 0800-1500 to get helped. This is ridiculous!

Increase pay and do it now before other casinos open. Maryland Live has no real competition on the east coast even from Atlantic City as it pertains to revenue. However, if upcoming casinos will pay more and be closer to their homes, expect atleast 70% of your employees to be gone.

Other Reviews for Maryland Live Casino

90% of the time it's an amazing job. 10% of the time it's absolutely miserable

Current Employee - Dealer  in  Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Dealer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Maryland Live Casino full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've never been happier during any other job. Friendly customers. Friendly co-workers. Lot's of breaks, Paycheck isn't too bad after tips are included. Pretty good Employee Dining/Break Room with extremely reasonable prices. It's a decent paying job for non-college-educated young adults that can deal with high levels of stress and verbal abuse from customers.

Cons

I've never been more stressed during any other job. Miserable customers can ruin your day. Some lower level management and dual-rate employees have no clue what they're doing.

The customer "is not" always right in this business. But the dealer almost always takes the blame either way.

$4.50 salary is below minimum wage. I still don't get why this is legal

Offsite parking on weekends/holidays.

Mandatory union membership and dues taken out of every paycheck.

Ugly uniforms

Where's the internal customer service? We understand that customer service is essential in this business; but when a customer is being disrespectful to a dealer, that customer needs to be asked to leave. It seems that management cares more about the casino making money than they do about their staff. It makes us dread our otherwise amazing jobs.

Its a great place to be but you will live paycheck to paycheck.

Current Employee - Dealer  in  Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Dealer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Maryland Live Casino full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have made a lot of friends here, there are around 2,000 employee's. Non Smoking. They allow tattoo's and piercings. Good management. I have yet to experience "power trips" from managers here. On site health center is very clean and professional. A lot of breaks and down time. Very diverse area. This casino is laid back. They are not strict on procedure like most places.

Cons

Must be 21 to deal cards here. This casino tends to favor the comfort of gamblers over their employee's. Work weekends. Work holidays. They force you to work 6 days a week sometimes. Cost of living is extremely high in this area. The casino is making the most money in the Atlantic/East coast and our toke rate does not reflect their success. They charge you $20 to wear a football jersey on game days. Some of the gamblers here are very ghetto and there have been "incidents". Dealers getting spit on. The uniforms are below average in comparison to other upscale casino's.

Management is good here. I think the dealers could use more training. Game protection needs to be better.

There are newer employer reviews for Maryland Live Casino.

Worked for Maryland Live Casino? Contribute to the Community!