Marymount University

There are newer employer reviews for Marymount University

Excellent

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Marymount University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This work place is a wonderful community. I'm not Catholic. I am a life-long AME, but I was at home and a part of the family at this warm Christian institution.

Cons

Small, so everyone get's to know you...but that was a pro for me

The new President is innovative and on the right course!

17 Other Employee Reviews for Marymount University (View Most Recent)

Be cautious about applying for any information technology position here. The department is a disaster.

I worked at Marymount University

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Free education if you haven't finished your undergrad/graduate degree. I met some great people.

Cons

The technology has been allowed to go down the toilet. I'm surprised this whole department hasn't been outsourced yet.

Network services are poorly managed by one person (yes you read that right – one person). So that means, if there is a failure (which is often because nothing was setup correctly) there is one person to fix it (reboot server). No one can stand to work for him. Despite his title and high salary he hasn’t kept up with technology (no certifications, no degree). There are a lot of tasks he should be able to do that he can’t. When he is tasked with something he can’t do, he asks his buddy consultant to remote into the MU network and fix-it for him. Everyone is given a public IP address rather utilizing NAT and subnetting. Eventually, the DHCP server runs out of IPs and people can no longer get on the network. There was no proper wireless surveying around campus. A lot of dorms have poor signal strength. The switch doesn’t have room for all the older dorms to have a wired connection. Every semester, students have to request to have their ports activated and MAC address added via e-mail. What a hassle for everyone.

AIS – manages one Datatel product. They have been without a permanent director for well over a year. Most of the employees do absolutely nothing but collect a paycheck. A lot of employees are on perpetual leave but are not missed because no one knows what they do anyways.

Support Services – The director for this department quit (not a surprise). Support services are forced to do things off network (due to the director of network services). There is no remote support of systems. You literally have to walk to every issue that someone calls for. In addition, there is no imaging over the network so that means hauling computers back and forth on campus. Software installations? Yep, get a key for a cabinet and get the software. Need to install a program on a PC in a classroom? You got 15 mins or less to go to the classroom PC to install the software before the next class (no remote management of PCs). There is a lot of grunt work with this position. A lot of areas on campus that should have permanent built-in AV equipment don’t. That means hauling heavy speakers, laptops, screens, and projectors from location-to-location. There is no desktop management and everyone gets local admin rights. So it’s not uncommon to find malware, spyware, and viruses on faculty and staff computers.

Telecom – there are a lot of crazy telecom issues. There are phones that randomly ring and drop calls. Newer technologies such as VoIP have been avoided because it’s easier to stay with older (broken) known technologies. Telecom is now challenged with looking at VoIP. Since VoIP relies on the shoddy network, I can just imagine what a disaster that will be.

Classroom tech – the cheapest contracting company put in the equipment. So the old adage, “you get what you pay for” comes into play.

Clean house. Offer a decent salary for the people on the front lines. Start completely over with the network. Make the server room look like a modern server room with proper cooling etc.

Was a very good experience as Cashier, had very good Supervisor. It was my first time working as a Cashier.

I worked at Marymount University part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

I never had any downs

No advice, the manager was perfect

There are newer employer reviews for Marymount University