There are newer employer reviews for Masco

No Strategy, No Leadership, Facile People Who Don't Deliver Get Ahead

Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI
Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Potentially interesting portfolio of brands and products.

Cons

A CEO who should have retired 5 years ago, can't decide if it is a disjointed collection of buinesses or an integrated company, of late there is a penchant to 'go back' to the holding company model (which has totally run out of gas...). Indecision, paralysis and mediocre talent at the Sr Leadership level equals a company to stay away from.

The Board of Directors needs to be much more hands on and work with the current CEO to find a new leader outside of the company. Fresh blood must be brought in at the corporate VP level, and quickly. The CEO needs to be much more critical of how strategies are being deployed in the company.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Masco (View Most Recent)

Milgard is the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA

I worked at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dress down Fridays, coworkers were the best. They do hire and promote from within, so if you want to move up you can, or switch to a different department. Decent product just sometimes the level and cost of servicing it is not considered when new product is offered.

Cons

no raises for years or they were very small. Micro-management became more the norm after Masco took over. If they want you out they will find a way to get you, I've seen it numerous times-Don't make upper management look bad, even by accident. Made bonus' impossible to achieve. Took away almost all employee functions. Very high turnover of employees.

Take care of your employees and the customers will come. They still had big parties for the dealers but cut all the employee fun. I would reccommend firing almost all upper management in Temecula and some middle management. That place is horrific. The philosophy does not exist anymore.

No growth opportunity for support personnel

Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco

Pros

The health benefits are much better than previous companies; on-site cafe; matching gifts; the company closes for the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's. There is a gym on-site. 4% match for 401k. Annual bonus and profit sharing.

Cons

Minimum to zero advancement potential for support personnel. I have never had a performance review. They are so focused on bringing in good young talent that they make everyone that has been there for years feel undervalued. Support personnel are continuously left out of department meetings, not given any projects, basically made to feel that we are not an important part of the team. Telecommuting policy is not fairly governed.

Lots of red tape for every little idea you may have, legal has to look at everything and takes weeks to respond. IT Help Desk is in bad shape, but they are genuinely pleasant people. It seems to be a lack of direction.

The HQ building has so much empty space (waste of money) and should be moved to Ann Arbor with Cabinetry. According to our last all-employee meeting, layoffs are coming AGAIN. Staff are tired of seeing their co-workers terminated. Morale is pitiful. It feels as if there is a constant threat, and there are a couple director level employees who seem to get energized by firing people. These are the type of people that become executives in the company. The "atmosphere" has changed so much.

It is very heartbreaking as this used to be a wonderful company. I hope that Masco can find its way back, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

In general, I cannot recommend Masco to any interested support level candidates. That said, if you are an executive level employee, you will probably be quite pleased, especially as there are extra perks for execs. I think the extra perks would make up for some of the low morale, etc. that you will face. So, please don't let my review hold you back if you are at that level. It is only for the office workers that the situation is truly dire.

There are newer employer reviews for Masco