Masimo

www.masimo.com
  www.masimo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Masimo

CEO is visionary, but doesn't see the internal issues

I worked at Masimo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO has a great vision and wants to improve healthcare.
Talented engineering team with great proprietary technology in noninvasive monitoring.
Lots of talented and driven people wanting to make a difference.

Cons

Company still operates like a startup, everything is subject to change at the last minute and best practices are rarely gleaned and implemented...there is little time for reflection and learning because the company is so fast-paced. Many decisions, down to smaller details are funneled up to the CEO because he is the founder and still wants to be involved. This can sometimes stifle creativity, because everyone will ask themselves "What does Joe want?"

Company recently announced a 1 week mandatory shutdown period, which will come out of employee vacation days. This is not industry practice. My perception is that this policy was implemented to make it culturally acceptable to take vacation days. That should tell you something about the culture here and how hard people are working.

Engineering runs the show here, and will bully the other departments into submission. They don't play well with others, and they (unfortunately) have the full support of the CEO.

Engineering seems well supported, while other departments struggle with available resources to stay afloat. Too many supervisors, not enough resources to get work done. Thus, many work on weekends and late nights (and sometimes during vacation). Work life balance is difficult to achieve here so turnover in some departments tends to be high.

Change needs to come from the top, departments need to work together more effectively. Perhaps the only way to accomplish this is by CEO intervention and letting go of the bullies to set an example (no matter how talented they may be).

If the above advice cannot or will not happen, new (impartial) senior leadership is needed to see the big picture and to improve organizational effectiveness. This company can achieve so much more if people outside of Engineering are valued and if a stern message is sent that Engineering needs to play nice with others.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Masimo (View Most Recent)

Remember the playground in middle school?

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company does great things, but since this is a review about the work environment, I cannot think of any pros.

Cons

Engineering runs the show. The engineers are great, but the engineering leadership team is composed of people that will do anything to avoid looking bad. That even means exercising their influence to ensure people are let go. Objectively speaking, there is a certain mob feel to the culture. People down proactively, and there is a lot of fear in the air. The name of the game is to avoid being noticed. If you keep your head down and keep quiet, you'll only have to worry about how stressful the environment is, and how afraid everyone is of the management team.

Lead instead of bully and intimidate. Don't use patriarchal management practices. Interact with others in a healthy way. Stop so obviously grooming family members for top leadership. It's bizarre that most respectable employees are out of the company in less than 3 years. Red flags all over the place here. Oh, and try not to keep firing your regulatory people when they won't bend the rules.

Probably the worst company I have worked for in my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. The pulse ox tech is "me too" but probably slightly better than the competitors.

Cons

Too many to list here, but I completely agree with most of the other posts on this site. The management, at all levels is the worst that I have experienced at any company in my career. The bureaucracy is so ridiculous that it takes days or weeks to get the simplest tasks accomplished. People are rarely promoted from within and when they are it is because they were the best at kissing-you know what, not due to any talent or performance.

My advice to management would be to fire yourselves for the sake of the shareholders and the company. I remember every time the FDA came thru you guys ran around freaking out. "Cleaning up". I just noticed that your rating just moved down to "underperform". Thats what I think of Masimo, and that is why I left.

There are newer employer reviews for Masimo