Masimo

www.masimo.com
  www.masimo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Masimo

I learned a lot working here.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Information Technology in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were very helpful and nice.

Cons

Work got too stressful at times and being a student, I couldn't handle the workload.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Masimo (View Most Recent)

Great job right after college/grad school.

Current Employee - Associate Algorithm Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Algorithm Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot, coworkers super helpful, management extremely competent and knowledgeable. You learn to work really hard, which is good preparation for life. Donut Thursdays are great. Overall cheerful environment.

Cons

I dislike the suburban location. Had this been in SF, I would have been 100% satisfied.

CEO is visionary, but doesn't see the internal issues

I worked at Masimo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO has a great vision and wants to improve healthcare.
    Talented engineering team with great proprietary technology in noninvasive monitoring.
    Lots of talented and driven people wanting to make a difference.

Cons

Company still operates like a startup, everything is subject to change at the last minute and best practices are rarely gleaned and implemented...there is little time for reflection and learning because the company is so fast-paced. Many decisions, down to smaller details are funneled up to the CEO because he is the founder and still wants to be involved. This can sometimes stifle creativity, because everyone will ask themselves "What does Joe want?"

Company recently announced a 1 week mandatory shutdown period, which will come out of employee vacation days. This is not industry practice. My perception is that this policy was implemented to make it culturally acceptable to take vacation days. That should tell you something about the culture here and how hard people are working.

Engineering runs the show here, and will bully the other departments into submission. They don't play well with others, and they (unfortunately) have the full support of the CEO.

Engineering seems well supported, while other departments struggle with available resources to stay afloat. Too many supervisors, not enough resources to get work done. Thus, many work on weekends and late nights (and sometimes during vacation). Work life balance is difficult to achieve here so turnover in some departments tends to be high.

Change needs to come from the top, departments need to work together more effectively. Perhaps the only way to accomplish this is by CEO intervention and letting go of the bullies to set an example (no matter how talented they may be).

If the above advice cannot or will not happen, new (impartial) senior leadership is needed to see the big picture and to improve organizational effectiveness. This company can achieve so much more if people outside of Engineering are valued and if a stern message is sent that Engineering needs to play nice with others.

There are newer employer reviews for Masimo