MassMutual
www.massmutual.com Springfield, MA 5000+ Employees

Good people. Flexible work environment. Informative training

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is a fun place to work at. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of hard work. However, the people are good here. If you've looked at other Financial Advisor firms, they have a very cut throat culture. Here, people help each other out and like to hang out together. Work hard and play hard. Management does a good job in helping people who need help. When I interviewed I read negative reviews before, but went for it anyways. Based on what I think, is that for people who complained about the training is probably because they weren't working hard. Management would go out of their way to help you if you're willing to put the work in it. I've seen it myself, because I get all the support I need. I strongly stand behind that. I do seem some guys here that don't work that hard, and they probably won't make it. Those will probably be the guys that complain. The guys that I see who make it are very driven and systematic. There's a good chunk of guys that do well. There's guys here who started out of college and struggled the first couple years making little money. And now they make anywhere from over $200k-$1m. These guys motivate me because they told me the key to it is to just stick in through the hard times. I think training is really good here. Their classes are really informative. Their mentorship is a really good learning experience for me. I sucked when I first did it, but got helped out with the coaching. My advice to people who are interviewing for this is that you got to want to make a lot of money to make it in this business. The guys that are structured themselves and are willing to put in the work are the ones that do well. After that you can be like someone here in this office who makes $500k and works 3 days a week. That's what I'm going for.

ConsThis is a tough one to figure out, but I think that because the office is a very entrepreneurial environment, some people take advantage of that. I think with the flexible schedule, some guys here get lazy in putting in what you're doing. I know the culture is set up with this environment. For me, I just stick with what I'm doing and follow the strong players. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys that struggle are really great guys. Nice and helpful. But I think they don't do what they say they'll do. We'll see if they can turn it around.

Good company, limited opportunity.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Flexible work schedules. Excellent work / life balance. Great people. … Cons: Opportunities for upward growth and mobility are limited and the organizational politics are considerably difficult to navigate.… Advice to Senior Management: The best way to fix culture is from the top down.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Rewarding

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros: This industry feels great. I've had the pleasure of experiencing grateful clients. When I interviewed, they told me about how great it feels… Cons: Getting rejected when prospecting. I've gotten somewhat use to people saying no. I realized after several rejections that I should not take it… Advice to Senior Management: Don't hire people who are looking to work at a big corporate company name like MassMutual. This isn't for people who just want to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on MassMutual.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.