MassMutual

www.massmutual.com

Good people. Flexible work environment. Informative training

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This is a fun place to work at. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of hard work. However, the people are good here. If you've looked at other Financial Advisor firms, they have a very cut throat culture. Here, people help each other out and like to hang out together. Work hard and play hard. Management does a good job in helping people who need help. When I interviewed I read negative reviews before, but went for it anyways. Based on what I think, is that for people who complained about the training is probably because they weren't working hard. Management would go out of their way to help you if you're willing to put the work in it. I've seen it myself, because I get all the support I need. I strongly stand behind that. I do seem some guys here that don't work that hard, and they probably won't make it. Those will probably be the guys that complain. The guys that I see who make it are very driven and systematic. There's a good chunk of guys that do well. There's guys here who started out of college and struggled the first couple years making little money. And now they make anywhere from over $200k-$1m. These guys motivate me because they told me the key to it is to just stick in through the hard times. I think training is really good here. Their classes are really informative. Their mentorship is a really good learning experience for me. I sucked when I first did it, but got helped out with the coaching. My advice to people who are interviewing for this is that you got to want to make a lot of money to make it in this business. The guys that are structured themselves and are willing to put in the work are the ones that do well. After that you can be like someone here in this office who makes $500k and works 3 days a week. That's what I'm going for.

Cons

This is a tough one to figure out, but I think that because the office is a very entrepreneurial environment, some people take advantage of that. I think with the flexible schedule, some guys here get lazy in putting in what you're doing. I know the culture is set up with this environment. For me, I just stick with what I'm doing and follow the strong players. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys that struggle are really great guys. Nice and helpful. But I think they don't do what they say they'll do. We'll see if they can turn it around.

Other reviews for MassMutual

Great place to have a career!

Pros

Flexibility
    It you get what you put in.
    High income potential
    Great Retirement plan
    Meet many new people
    Work with a great team
    Strong company with over 100 years of great history

Cons

Commission
    Sales cycle can be lengthy

Good place to gain experience to take elsewhere

Pros

Safe secure offices, free parking, decent on-site cafeterias and amenities (gym, salon)
    A respected name in financial services that will look good on a resume.
    Inter-company transfers are fairly easy, allowing someone to move horizontally and gain experience in multiple financial services functions.

Cons

Leadership roles are consistently filled from outside the company. There is a distinct aversion to promoting from within, and ranks of VP and above are almost exclusively filled by hiring from competitors.

Extremely hierarchical; you will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept

No transparency in decisions or accountability for results at the leadership level. Several years ago one business unit cost the company the equivalent of a small country economy in reserve losses. The CEO was given a plum work-from-anywhere job doing a function never identified and with no expected output. The CFO was promoted to be in charge of corporate strategy. The workers were hit with 50% layoffs.

This is a highly politicized environment. Because management is not accountable to quarterly results, or any objective management, relationships are the only driving factor. I had been specifically told not to show evidence of poor decisions or bad work practices (not fraudulent, just incompetent) not because I was wrong or there were reasons for the behavior, but because presenting the issue would be 'disrespectful'.

A leader leads by serving, and we don't mean second servings Roger.

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!