There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

One of the best in the insurance industry.

Current Employee - Agent  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're looking for wonderful professional development support, this is the place to work. The education is also the best. The company flies out wholesalers that specialize in different products to help you better understand everything there is to know about insurance.

Cons

The learning curve is extremely large. It'll take you awhile to become great. It can be frustrating for a very long time if you are not comfortable with intentional failure.

301 Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual (View Most Recent)

Good people. Flexible work environment. Informative training

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a fun place to work at. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of hard work. However, the people are good here. If you've looked at other Financial Advisor firms, they have a very cut throat culture. Here, people help each other out and like to hang out together. Work hard and play hard. Management does a good job in helping people who need help. When I interviewed I read negative reviews before, but went for it anyways. Based on what I think, is that for people who complained about the training is probably because they weren't working hard. Management would go out of their way to help you if you're willing to put the work in it. I've seen it myself, because I get all the support I need. I strongly stand behind that. I do seem some guys here that don't work that hard, and they probably won't make it. Those will probably be the guys that complain. The guys that I see who make it are very driven and systematic. There's a good chunk of guys that do well. There's guys here who started out of college and struggled the first couple years making little money. And now they make anywhere from over $200k-$1m. These guys motivate me because they told me the key to it is to just stick in through the hard times. I think training is really good here. Their classes are really informative. Their mentorship is a really good learning experience for me. I sucked when I first did it, but got helped out with the coaching. My advice to people who are interviewing for this is that you got to want to make a lot of money to make it in this business. The guys that are structured themselves and are willing to put in the work are the ones that do well. After that you can be like someone here in this office who makes $500k and works 3 days a week. That's what I'm going for.

Cons

This is a tough one to figure out, but I think that because the office is a very entrepreneurial environment, some people take advantage of that. I think with the flexible schedule, some guys here get lazy in putting in what you're doing. I know the culture is set up with this environment. For me, I just stick with what I'm doing and follow the strong players. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys that struggle are really great guys. Nice and helpful. But I think they don't do what they say they'll do. We'll see if they can turn it around.

Great place to have a career!

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Flexibility
    It you get what you put in.
    High income potential
    Great Retirement plan
    Meet many new people
    Work with a great team
    Strong company with over 100 years of great history

Cons

Commission
    Sales cycle can be lengthy

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!