MassMutual

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Rewarding

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This industry feels great. I've had the pleasure of experiencing grateful clients. When I interviewed, they told me about how great it feels to be able to help someone's financial life. When I was able to do it myself, I then understood what they meant. To be able to work at a place where I can help people makes my job much more meaningful. As for the company itself, great support and training. They have a really good structure that caters to a flexible lifestyle. The people are really great here too. I feel like I can trust those around me and enjoy ourselves after work too.

Cons

Getting rejected when prospecting. I've gotten somewhat use to people saying no. I realized after several rejections that I should not take it personal. They just may not want me as their Advisor. However, I'm human, and it still stings to have someone say no to me. Unfortunately I had to leave because I had to move to New York

Don't hire people who are looking to work at a big corporate company name like MassMutual. This isn't for people who just want to boost their resume. I think this is really a job for those who want to do this so that they can make a lot of money and own their own business. I really do want to own my own business one day.

318 Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual (View Most Recent)

Top Notch Insurance Company

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent products. High ethical standards. Excellent brand recognition. As with any sales position, you efforts will determine what you earn. No limit on what you can do.

Cons

Since each office is operated by an independent General Agent, culture, training, staffing, etc can be very different from office to office. Administrative staff is paid by each GA, not the home office. GAs tend to be tight fisted with salaries and it can be reflected in quality.

Invest in quality staff.

Good people. Flexible work environment. Informative training

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work at. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of hard work. However, the people are good here. If you've looked at other Financial Advisor firms, they have a very cut throat culture. Here, people help each other out and like to hang out together. Work hard and play hard. Management does a good job in helping people who need help. When I interviewed I read negative reviews before, but went for it anyways. Based on what I think, is that for people who complained about the training is probably because they weren't working hard. Management would go out of their way to help you if you're willing to put the work in it. I've seen it myself, because I get all the support I need. I strongly stand behind that. I do seem some guys here that don't work that hard, and they probably won't make it. Those will probably be the guys that complain. The guys that I see who make it are very driven and systematic. There's a good chunk of guys that do well. There's guys here who started out of college and struggled the first couple years making little money. And now they make anywhere from over $200k-$1m. These guys motivate me because they told me the key to it is to just stick in through the hard times. I think training is really good here. Their classes are really informative. Their mentorship is a really good learning experience for me. I sucked when I first did it, but got helped out with the coaching. My advice to people who are interviewing for this is that you got to want to make a lot of money to make it in this business. The guys that are structured themselves and are willing to put in the work are the ones that do well. After that you can be like someone here in this office who makes $500k and works 3 days a week. That's what I'm going for.

Cons

This is a tough one to figure out, but I think that because the office is a very entrepreneurial environment, some people take advantage of that. I think with the flexible schedule, some guys here get lazy in putting in what you're doing. I know the culture is set up with this environment. For me, I just stick with what I'm doing and follow the strong players. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys that struggle are really great guys. Nice and helpful. But I think they don't do what they say they'll do. We'll see if they can turn it around.

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual