There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Good place to gain experience to take elsewhere

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Safe secure offices, free parking, decent on-site cafeterias and amenities (gym, salon)
A respected name in financial services that will look good on a resume.
Inter-company transfers are fairly easy, allowing someone to move horizontally and gain experience in multiple financial services functions.

Cons

Leadership roles are consistently filled from outside the company. There is a distinct aversion to promoting from within, and ranks of VP and above are almost exclusively filled by hiring from competitors.

Extremely hierarchical; you will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept

No transparency in decisions or accountability for results at the leadership level. Several years ago one business unit cost the company the equivalent of a small country economy in reserve losses. The CEO was given a plum work-from-anywhere job doing a function never identified and with no expected output. The CFO was promoted to be in charge of corporate strategy. The workers were hit with 50% layoffs.

This is a highly politicized environment. Because management is not accountable to quarterly results, or any objective management, relationships are the only driving factor. I had been specifically told not to show evidence of poor decisions or bad work practices (not fraudulent, just incompetent) not because I was wrong or there were reasons for the behavior, but because presenting the issue would be 'disrespectful'.

A leader leads by serving, and we don't mean second servings Roger.

reviews filtered by

Great training program to learn how to start your business

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training program here was great. They taught me not only all the technical training, but how to build an overall plan. My coworkers here were very friendly and helpful. It's really good to be in a place where people hang out with each other and like to help each other out. I feel like it is a great support structure.

Cons

Hardest part about this job is to prospect for clients. I've got a lot better with the training they have here so there is a learning curve to become really good at what you do. It feels good when you get it.

I'd like to see management share this training with more people so that there's more brand awareness.

2. Old School Culture - But Stability

Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Stong financially
    - As a mutual company don't have the same pressures as a public co

Cons

- Very old school culture -- stuffy environment and very slow to change. Generally not accepting of remote working and has a very strong culture of doing things they way they've always been done. Little opportunity for new or different thinking

- Let the new ideas and perpsectives in if that is what you hire people for.

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual