There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Stable, conservative, great for workaholics

Former Employee - Quantitative Specialist  in  Springfield, MA
Former Employee - Quantitative Specialist in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, nice home office amenities like fitness center, awesome cafeteria, credit union, dry cleaners, etc. I had the very best in computer equipment including two monitors.

Cons

Lousy benefits. Police state culture: they take security to the extreme. Sometimes when they do layoffs they just walk people out without letting them say goodbye or letting them pack up their own stuff even if they did nothing wrong and just aren't needed anymore. Some employees are openly racist. (Controllers and Corp Planning) but management makes a real attempt to support minority ethnic groups. The Springfield office is in an African American neighborhood but most Blacks I saw there worked in the cafeteria. There were a few in my division, and I saw other individuals be disrespectful toward them. (This really disgusted me) The new CEO is from investment banking, not insurance and he is heartless. The company only exists to enrich the 1%. With this new CEO they don't even pretend to care about anyone else. U.S. economy tanking? Now problem, we'll sell to Japan and China.

Treat employees with respect! Treat them like human beings! Give employees more of a voice. There is some amazing talent there. Do more to help the city of Springfield, you owe them that much for being your home.

301 Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual (View Most Recent)

advisor

Current Employee - Advisor  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Advisor in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible and allows you to create your own schedule. YOu can specialize in what you enjoy doing most

Cons

always fearful of failing, difficult to maintain a steady income and predict what you will make. it is tough to do this job with a family

more help prospecting and developing a market

I ended up paying too much money for the ability to work there. This job was too expensive.

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Friendly people, on the job sales training, well known name, fun incentive set-up, professional looking office, one-on-one help from management, large teams to offer support

Cons

Commission only pay, not enough training for the type of product you are selling, you have to pay them to rent your desk space, you pay them for your parking space, the typical person does not make enough money in the first year to cover bills and basic living expenses.

While I understand that it is a tough industry to get into, I think that the structure of the company creates a "car sales person" atmosphere. There are insurance and investment companies that create an apprenticeship type learning program to help prepare future advisors to actually be beneficial to customers. This includes an actual salary.

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!