There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA
Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

Cons

The culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies. It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

If you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good and I like that it is a mutual company where the focus is more on long term results rather than the next quarter.

Cons

Management is trying to change the culture to make associates more accountable and there have been ongoing staff reductions over the past few years. Not entirely a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Encourage more openness and opposing viewpoints. There is too much brown nosing because associates believe that behavior is rewarded. Also, I believe the work from home privilege is being abused in many cases.

2. A learning experience

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Mass Mutual of Silicon Valley is a good place to get you feet wet in the sales world. They have a great training program

Cons

They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients.