There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Like working unpaid overtime? This may be your kind of place!

Current Employee - Underwriter
Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financially strong company. Great reputation in industry for paying claims. I hear that employees in non-production related roles don't have to work as much overtime.

Cons

With the economic downturn around 2008, like many companies, MassMutual stopped filling positions that became vacant due to attrition. Managers told the employees in production environments that they would simply have to get the work done with the staff they had left. They then began requiring staff to work X# of hours/ week of unpaid overtime. This has spiraled into an unfortunate work environment where the employees have to put in 5, 10, even 15 hours per week of unpaid overtime, on a regular basis, almost year-round. There is no way that you can work here and have a normal family life or social life. You can work 12 hours/ day all week and then still be told on Friday that you have to put in 5 more hours on Saturday. Huge sales contest every Sept-Dec- OT is even worse, vacation time not really permitted. Everyone in this type of role is trying to leave.
Health benefits are sub-par.
Ridiculous open work environments (no cubicle walls) to promote collaboration, even in roles where this is not appropriate.

Advice to Management

Cut the enormous bonuses senior leaders are being paid a bit so you can afford to hire enough employees to manage the work and have a life. You are relying on your staff to work excessive free overtime as your normal way of managing business. Don't say you value work/life balance when your management philosophy proves your don't. As the economy improves, more and more people will be leaving.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It was an interesting experience working at MassMutual as an intern; however, I was mostly stuck making copies.

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at MassMutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

From my observation the commission for agents is pretty competitive with other financial services companies. I think is one is looking for a career in sales, MassMutual would be a good place for them.

Cons

Some employees told me that the only perk of working at MassMutual longterm was that they get one more day of vacation each year, and that's about it. I saw some agents become managers; however, I do not think that their salary increased (actually, it might have decreased).

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Company needs to revise compensation program. Constant turnover because of low and inconsistent pay.

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall good company with a good public reputation.

Cons

Compensation and training are poor.

Advice to Management

Put together at base pay plus commission compensation package and a much more comprehensive training 3 month program. Doing this would increase the overall professionalism of the organization and it would develop much stronger and knowledgable CAREER Agents. Hiring anyone who has a perceived good warm market and then depleting this warm market over a year or so is not conducive to building a strong organization of seasoned and professional Agents. Most Agents don't stay with company more than a year.