MassMutual

www.massmutual.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

Great company with great products and great ethics

Current Employee - Staff in Anaheim, CA
Current Employee - Staff in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For a commissioned agent, Mass Mutual is the company to work for. You work for Mass Mutual directly. Great commissions and benefits. Great product line up and a very high premium placed on ethics.

Cons

Company works on a General Agency basis. Each office is in affect a franchise and each General Agent has leeway in how he or she operates. The GA definitely sets the tone of the office. If you looking at Mass Mutual you should definitely interview with different GAs (there are three in the Los Angeles / Orange County area). Also, staff positions works for the GA, not the company. Therefore salary and benefits can vary greatly from office to office.

Local staff should have access to home office benefits. (Note - the city listed below is not the actual city. Don't want to give away my office).

351 Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual (View Most Recent)

Large, stable company

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Good Benefit Package with on-site services
    - Excellent vacation time allotment
    - There are many great people to work with
    - Company has a clearly articulated strategy with the focus on its policy holders

Cons

- Somewhat short sighted in technology in certain areas. A focus on the project costs versus long term gains of technology investments
    - Process overhead as expected with such a large firm

I worked 20 Plus Years at MM. Not as good a company as it used to be. Everyone wanted to work at MM when I started.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only good thing I found these last couple of years is the bank, store, hairdresser etc.

Managers were helpful and sincere up until the last 4 years.

Cons

You will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept. This I know first hand.

The MMWay is such a waste of time. Every day a 15 minute huddle and every week a 1 hour meeting for standard work. Every week a 2 hour problem solving meeting. Even if you have no problems, they will make up problems. To me, aside from the daily huddle, the rest is just a waste of time.

The benefits are terrible. The only thing worth being there was for the vacation time.

Perception is Reality. This is the same as when you assume. One on One meetings with manager seem to always go well but when it came down to the performance evaluation it was like you were hit with a brick. You are not informed when you are doing something that is wrong or an error has been made on your part during your one on ones with your manager. This will be brought up during your performance evaluation and at this point you cannot do a thing to fix it.

I have no advice. I'm only glad that I was able to get out of there with my sanity.

There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual