MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

MasterCard is a great place to work because the diverse technologies we work with in a given year exceed most careers

Current Employee - Technical Consultant  in  O'Fallon, MO
Current Employee - Technical Consultant in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at MasterCard (Operations & Technologies Headquarters) is exciting due to the many opportunities that come about in a technology company. There are always changes to our infrastructure and we're constantly pushing the envelope with new and exciting adoption (or creation of) technologies.

What I mean to say is that it is clear how many parts of the Technology Organization of MasterCard, in just a 2 year span, an Operations employee (Analyst through Sr. Professional) will have established a firm working knowledge of many different industry leading products, software or technology types that will decorate their resume beyond what many might achieve in their entire career.

Cons

The only 2 Cons I've heard around the office are really these:

1) Due to the high pressure demands for rapid development or fast turn around on various projects, many find themselves overwhelmed. It certainly isn't a workplace for the meek (though I personally enjoy the pressure, it drives me personally).

2) Appreciation is lacking for those that burst with initiative and improvement efforts that change the company for the good. I've been witness to several cases where an employee has improved a process or business practice that has caused a financial savings greater than that employee's salary (in a few cases these savings are realized annually).

First, If I could share some things with upper management it would be to work on communication across the different parts of the organization when it comes to product purchasing and development efforts. Many times I find 2 teams that don't work together are sometimes spending even Millions of dollars attempting to solve the same business requirement(s). If they knew such projects were underway, the 2nd one in the pool might be able to leverage the advancements (and investments) made by the first team tackling the issue. This might be achieved by enacting a policy that asks teams to:

1) Post the name & description of the effort they're working on in a searchable forum (say our SharePoint site for example) and

2) That teams seeking to start an effort on a topic first search that forum to see if anyone else is already under way.

Second, Instruct Middle Management to take better initiatives with the HEART award system for their own employees when they do something that really moves the needle. It's ok if these awards come from a manager instead of a peer or other employee.

Other Reviews for MasterCard

On a journey of transition

Current Employee - Business Leader  in  O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Business Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

MasterCard has a very competitive benefits package, base pay is average, but performance is recognized via end of year bonus quite well. Opportunities for advancement as a people manager are plentiful for those with a keen acumen of IT-to-business value and good management skills. For those on a purely technical career path, opportunities for advancement *can* be plentiful. However you'll need to be very adaptable and not tied to just one technology or job function. Otherwise, it's possible to reach a block point where further advancement within a given discipline isn't possible.

The workforce at MasterCard have a great community spirit. Whether it's through the business resource groups (Women's Leadership Network, Young Professionals, PRIDE, Technology Leadership Network, etc.) or through involvement with the United Way and Junior Achievement the people of MasterCard do a lot of fantastic things together.

The campus is nice, including a cafeteria, gym, and a few gaming areas. Internal programs for computer based training on programs like PCI, ITIL, and Six-Sigma as well as opportunities to participate on tiger-team type functions are easily available should you have the time or inclination to want them.

Commercially, the company is doing fantastic. Internally the operations world is in a state of transition. As MasterCard continues to push for deeper connections direct to the consumer that will call for an adaptation of their IT Operations and Technology staffing and mindset.

Cons

Work load can be INTENSE for those wanting to advance their career. You will not find much opportunity here if you're only interested in coming in and doing an 8 hour day with an hour lunch in the middle.

Due to a focus on the consumer, MasterCard has several initiatives rushing to market in parallel and as such require delivery of IT Service and Operational support at a rapid pace. Though the company is operating that way at the top, IT staffing and funding decisions aren't based around that same mantra. For people managers who identify a staffing gap, it's often only after a process *breaks* that the business case is given merit.

The campus is nice, however it's going through some changes. Due to space constraints a "cube restack" is changing the cubicle configuration to a smaller, less private cube. There are collaborative "pod" configurations as well. BUT ultimately if you're a people manager requiring privacy or a technical person who requires distraction-free working conditions you'll find them in short supply. However, they do offer an alternative workplace program for tele-working.

It's disappointing that the gym and cafeteria aren't subsidized. Though convenient, the cafeteria food becomes pretty repetitive and the pricing doesn't provide a satisfaction that you've gotten what you paid for. The gym again is incredibly convenient, but can be very crowded during peak usage, especially if you have a short window to get your workout in. For the monthly price paid (with no discount options for full year or contract based pricing) the gym waters down the value of having it on site.

Because the company is doing so well and driving so hard with card-holder focused initiatives there is a distinct lack of resources. Both from a staffing perspective, as well as training and tool funding. The intense pressure to outsource operational level tasks all while maintaining the same ops tempo has lead to challenges internally in quality requiring more time and pressure on deliverable schedules.

The big question is would I recommend this company to others? That answer for me is still a **yes**. Of course there are challenges, but in today's IT world I don't really know of any opportunities in the local area that don't have those in some form or another. If MasterCard is still in exactly the same place it is now five years in the future, maybe that answer changes. However, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to both influence and watch to see if that change happens.

You can't have your IT "cake" and eat it too. Though people managers and individual contributors continue to attempt to deliver IT services at the same intensity and pace of technology behemoths like Google and Amazon, we will never ultimately be as successful as we could be as we just aren't staffed and funded like that. To deliver core like services at commodity like pricing requires a different mindset at the operations and engineering level. Increased funding for in-sourced rather than out-sourced subject matter expertise including training and conference opportunities would allow MasterCard to deliver the same code, solutions, and designs cheaper, quicker, and at a higher quality than many of the third-party vendors we contract with today.

As the CEO of MasterCard speaks internally about how we should run our business, we need to hold ALL our management chain accountable for living those same values.

Great company and experience but needs younger people

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lot of great people to learn from- and a lifetime of expertise in the payments industry

Cons

Can feel a bit outdated at times- needs younger blood

Doing a great job reforming the college recruiting process! Keep expanding to schools, and aim high!

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!