Feels like home

Former Employee - Intern in Purchase, NY
Former Employee - Intern in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

MasterCard was a great place to intern. We had a small intern group spread across many different areas of the company, but our departments and HR made sure we felt welcome and integrated into the organization. They have really thought through their internship program and had weekly educational sessions focusing on resume writing, knowledge about the bank, personal strengths, etc. We even visited the floor of the NYSE! The hours were great, the work was not overwhelming and was appropriate for my level of work experience at the time, and my coworkers were infinately helpful. Overall, the atmosphere and people were just perfect for me.

Cons

It was a sophmore internship, so it is not like other financial internships where you can expect a fulltime offer after the internship. Really, other than that, I can't think of one negative thing.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, it seems to be working!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Much Promise Much Work to Do

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Market position and industry outlook is great. Overall compensation package is designed to encourage long-term commitment. Brand is phenomenal around the globe. Upside market opportunity in the payments space is enviable. Company's financial strength and scalability is admirable.

Cons

MasterCard hires for job experience in industry, specifically banking. So you have alot of people who come to the table with fairly large egos and limited creativity. Large level of political drama to deal with. The company moves very slow - not responsive to clients, missed deadlines are common practice, 9:30 to 5:00 sharp are standard hours so if you're an eager eddie you'll be disappointed. Basic management discipline is missing. You will also be frustrated by the highest level of bureaucracy covering the company's use of data and information. It is an obsession that prevents us from getting things done and having an impact with clients.

Advice to Management

Drive out costs now when we can do it with deliberate focus; if we wait it will only be painful later.

Hire for intelligence, integrity and motivation, we have enough people who worked in industry for 10 years, we need some more young people with a sharp mind and fire in their belly.

Formalize the career development model, encourage telecommuting and clarify roles and responsibilities.

Finally, whoever is designing and implementing the leadership development program is failing and it is such an important factor. You need to mobilize the entire top 4 layers to learn and apply strong leadership skills.

And you also need to stop hiring jerks - hire emotionally aware, competent and intelligent people to start displacing the lousy people managers you have at the mid to upper levels.

2. work culture

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

trying to be a tech company

Cons

focuses on huge markets. too bad if you are a local