MasterCard

Good benefits, but weak HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

There are good benefits provided by the company, There is a strong global network and some insightful research. Plenty of opportunities to work across multiple business units.

Cons

Poor communication from HR. Beware of the meeting culture. People host meetings when they could just communicate needs through email or over the phone.

Offer more open communication and reduce redundancy.

319 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

The MasterCard IPS group is a sweat shop full of incompetent management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

There is MCU, MasterCard University, where you can learn about processing and the payments industry. There are some competent and committed people with whom to work. The facilities are OK, with the big gym and decent dining hall.

Cons

The benefits are not that great, especially the medican and dental.
    There is a group of folks at MasterCard who have been there for 10 years or more. That is an elitist club. They do very little work and put the onus of all the real work onto the new employees. These employees don't get the pension (like the ol' timers still get), don't get the recognition, and get very little thanks and praise. In the IPS group, especially, much of the real work is done by outsourcing it to onshore and offshore contractors.

Get some fresh management in there. Try to break up the elitist club of the folks who have been at MC for a long time. Get rid of Lotus Notes for goodness sake, and replace it with Microsoft Outlook.

My expectations were wrong

Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

When I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

Cons

On the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Stop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard