Mastery Charter School

Add Review

High Standards

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mastery Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, a good amount of support from the top, potential for job growth

Cons

Can be very demanding and stressful

reviews filtered by

Make sure you are completely aligned to their model and are a worker who enjoys being told exactly what to do.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Mastery Charter School

Pros

Clear data in terms of your student performance. Clarity regarding exactly what will be on the formative tests. All Mastery get-togethers. Great if you are a new teacher with a ton of time to commit and want to improve your basic instructional techniques.

Cons

Mastery is still expanding at a fast pace leaving little time to take seriously any innovation in regards to figuring out how to make their schools sustainable places of employment for adults who have families or want a dynamic life outside of their work days. Fast expansion also means that central leadership message becomes one of command and control rather than inquiry. Quick success seems to have created pressure NOT to change anything right now. If innovation is part of your motivation, then now is not the right time to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop expanding and start breaking new ground for making your schools places where teachers can work for a lifetime. Otherwise, you risk becoming another white-collar sweatshop that hires cheap young labor and burns them out, but has an effective training model in place to compensate by hiring new ones. Such a focus will also mean you are able to innovate beyond the basics delivered by direct instruction and instead add an additional model to the teaching approach that takes students to a level of critical thinking, reflection, and self-management.

2. Definitely Not "One of the Best Companies to Work for in Philadelphia," despite last year's reviews.

Former Contractor - English Teacher, Secondary School
    Former Contractor - English Teacher, Secondary School

I worked at Mastery Charter School as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I appreciate that they made a little more [transparent] of an effort to support their teachers in having a work-life balance. There were definitely a lot of deliverable materials, but the deadlines were never on a weekend, so that, if you planned your time well, you could have your entire weekend to yourself, instead of agonizing over school literally every single day.

Cons

My direct supervisor was a terrible mentor; was agreed upon by nearly every teacher I spoke with that she was a terrible mentor/teach coach/adviser, and that she was very artificial/disingenuous, as well as condescending. This workplace also made me the sickest I have ever been in my life. If you have any experience with anxiety and/or depression, I wholeheartedly advise you to STAY AWAY. In February of last year, I was so ill that I could not eat, sit up, read, or even stay awake steadily for a full week; I was out of work the whole week, but still had to compose and send assignments to school while I was ill. My anxiety and depression were so fully exacerbated that I cried every single morning for months at the thought of being in that school.
    The worst part (for me, as a social justice advocate working to bridge the achievement gap), was that the school was so strictly discipline-based to the point where students would miss an entire day of class simply for wearing a show that was not completely black (perhaps it had a white stripe). This, to me, is absurd and a waste of everyone's time. Mastery prides itself on "Excellence. No Excuses." However, I would say that there are more ways to address this problem. For example, if the parent cannot take the time to come up to the school for a pair of sneakers, keep a closet with a few pairs of shoes that can be borrowed with the collateral of the student's original shoes. This way, students can still adhere to uniform policy without missing valuable instruction time. Mastery was way too impersonal, for students and staff. Most staff members didn't actually know each other on a personal level, and most staff members didn't have the time necessary to truly understand all of their students' circumstances. I have worked in three schools, and it seems to me that Mastery was the school that had the lowest student morale of the three; students simply didn't like Mastery. All of these things (and the many more I haven't listed) become extremely exhausting (emotionally, physically, etc.) over the course of a school year, which results in the high turnover that Mastery experiences every year, and even mid-year. The job, ultimately, was not as sustainable as they might like us to believe.

Advice to Management

Create a safe space for teachers to [anonymously] evaluate their superiors/give feedback, and for the supervisors to be transparent about what feedback they received and how they plan to address it, so that they can hold themselves accountable and teachers can feel empowered to address issues that may persist.