MathWorks

www.mathworks.com

Great Core Values....But.....Meetings, Politics, Rare Promotions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsI've worked at MathWorks for 5 years. I consistently appreciate all the little things the company has to offer...intelligent people, literally awe-inspiring technical computing products, great benefits and profit sharing. There is a consistent vision of the future and a workplace centered around hard work and results. Many of the "individual contributors" know their subject areas well, and could probably run companies of their own.

I've grown personally and professionally over these past 5 years, and a great deal of the credit goes to MathWorks. I never before realized how different things can work better if they fit into a well-defined process, and you'll definitely get that insight and experience working here. I love and appreciate this company - I'm loyal. Yet, it does have its fundamental flaws.

Cons3 words: meetings, politics, promotions.

Meetings: There are way too many. If you're the type of person (like me) who needs hours upon hours to concentrate and focus and think big thoughts in order to contribute well, then you'll find it difficult to do that in this environment without staying after normal working hours to do so.

Politics: The way our reviews are organized require consensus building amongst managers. Our fate is determined not just by our direct manager, but by managers who we may have interacted with only a few times during the year. In my view, this breeds territoriality and rather petty bickering. People will go behind your back and above your level....and they will get attention because they're the squeaky wheel.

Promotions: I don't believe a single person in my group of ~30 has been promoted within the last 5 years. The economy was given as the reason previously, but that excuse can only last so long. Yes, we are lucky to have jobs. However, the lack of a well-defined career path is I believe fundamentally hypocritical at an organization which is hierarchical yet also holds the core value of "respect and invest." What ends up happening is that you'll be expected to work at a higher level of excellence, but ultimately never attain a higher level in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeetings are waste. Unless they are working meetings, not everyone needs to be around the table.

Because MathWorks is a great company and there is more demand to work here than jobs available, you have a position of power. However, using that position of power to make people work higher than their level, but without such recognition....goes against "do the right thing." You're smart enough to know that, and you should know that it dilutes all the other great views employees have of the company.

lukewarm, seems good if you plan on sticking around for 10+ years but it takes a while to get recognition

I have been working at MathWorks

Pros: good benefits healthy, growing company with a very good product relaxed atmosphere Cons: low salary most promotions are from within Advice to Senior Management: Invest more in your new employees More

Great Company Culture, Slow Paste but Great Quality

I have been working at MathWorks

Pros: Very stable company. Very smart people. Lots of fun social opportunities. Great company culture. Extremely collaborative environment makes a… Cons: Unclear promotion criteria something driven by political reasons and fear of change. The company is extremely collaborative, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on MathWorks.

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!