MathWorks

Conservative, diverse and sustainable

Current Employee - Recruiter
Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

Products accelerate engineering and science, contributing to the altruistic cultural feel. Everyone has their own office and the campus is comfortable. Casual dress. Culture fit is very important in hiring, so collaboration has remained a key element in day-to-day interactions.

Cons

MathWorks will evaluate all steps before taking them. This may frustrate those who want to use the latest/greatest tech or tool immediately - but this evaluation also means that poor technology investments are rare.

362 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

IT department - Worst place to work in

Current Employee - IT
    Current Employee - IT

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

The quartery bonuses balance out the average pay. The company has good perks such as paid trip each year, and free snacks/drinks. This is where the benefits ends

Cons

The perks at this company comes with a huge price. You lose your freedom, autonomy, and self respect. In the IT department, every person hates working here. The management creates an environment of fear and constantly berate your skills and competence. The managers are very manipulative and there is generally, a culture of distrust. Criticizing your work and contributions is common, so they can increase control and manipulation. If you work in IT, you will be watched and tracked continuously. Every error you make (regardless of how small) is used against you. For example, if you did an installation that went well for hundreds of people, and one person had a minor issue, this will be tracked. Then management will keep berating you for this "horrible" error. They keep a record of every comment someone says and use it for power and manipulation on your reviews. For example, in one meeting (where I was not even a required participant), I was checking my emails on my Blackberry. Someone reported this to my manager and this so-called "issue" was used in my reviews. There is so much micromanagement of your work. They watch everything you do, and there is a general distrust of the employees. There is an unspoken rule that you are not allowed to question any of the policies or processes unless you have been here for 5-10 years. If you question any of the existing processes, you get singled out. There are so many unnecessary meetings during the day, that you don't have time to do anything else. Half of the meetings, you don't need to attend, but if you don't show up, Management will label you as a bad team player.

There is NO work from home policy. It doesn't matter if there is a hurricane, a huge snow or a state of emergency, you CANNOT work from home. If you like any degree of autonomy, or value any amount of freedom, or a place where you can voice your opinion, please don't work here.

Trust the employees. Do not let the managers take complete control. Stop having meetings for the sake of meetings, and minimize micromanagement. Trust your employees. We are professionals and don't need to be watched over constantly. Allow periodic work from home during inclement weather. This improves quality of life and makes employees happier.

Some good, some bad

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Great people

Cons

Heavy on process. Hasn't adapted very well to change from small company to big one. Upper and mid-upper management don't delegate power down at all.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks