There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

MathWorks is a great place to work and learn - don't listen to the complainers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome Culture - Excellent Perks - Great Management! I've seen a lot of people complain on this site about the culture, working style, rigid processes and slow decision making - honestly, after more than a year in this company, I have no idea where they are coming from! This is an amazing place to work - learn and live. I cannot believe I almost fell for the negative reviews here before joining the company. The only people who complain are the ones who are not innovative or strong enough to drive change! Yes - a lot of the times the decisions involves senior management - but they give you a complete freedom to come up with ideas, innovate and prepare a sensible plan - the ideas that get canned are either idiotic are the people bringing those ideas do not have enough expertise in their field or lack confidence in their own thoughts. Over 70% of the workforce at MathWorks have been here 5 years or more - that's proof enough! If you are smart, enjoy your work and have a good manager, you will love it here. PS: Any company you go to, if your manager is bad you are not going to make it - so don't be stupid and judge your manager during your interview and then decide. 9/10 Managers I work with at MathWorks are superb - helpful, supportive, smart and extremely talented in their jobs. Interview process is indeed rigourous, but the result is you rarely see idiots or people who can't fit into the culture being hired.

Also, after your first year your quarterly bonus starts to jump high, so that makes up for the meager salary hikes - it can reach upto 20-25% of your yearly salary in your 2nd year!

Cons

Salary and Level hikes in the first 2-3 years are meager, so make sure you negotiate a good salary when you join.

Don't listen to the complainers - it's a great place to work and everyone on the outside is just jealous they never fit in (for their own fault)!

reviews filtered by

IT department - Worst place to work in

Current Employee - IT
    Current Employee - IT

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

The quartery bonuses balance out the average pay. The company has good perks such as paid trip each year, and free snacks/drinks. This is where the benefits ends

Cons

The perks at this company comes with a huge price. You lose your freedom, autonomy, and self respect. In the IT department, every person hates working here. The management creates an environment of fear and constantly berate your skills and competence. The managers are very manipulative and there is generally, a culture of distrust. Criticizing your work and contributions is common, so they can increase control and manipulation. If you work in IT, you will be watched and tracked continuously. Every error you make (regardless of how small) is used against you. For example, if you did an installation that went well for hundreds of people, and one person had a minor issue, this will be tracked. Then management will keep berating you for this "horrible" error. They keep a record of every comment someone says and use it for power and manipulation on your reviews. For example, in one meeting (where I was not even a required participant), I was checking my emails on my Blackberry. Someone reported this to my manager and this so-called "issue" was used in my reviews. There is so much micromanagement of your work. They watch everything you do, and there is a general distrust of the employees. There is an unspoken rule that you are not allowed to question any of the policies or processes unless you have been here for 5-10 years. If you question any of the existing processes, you get singled out. There are so many unnecessary meetings during the day, that you don't have time to do anything else. Half of the meetings, you don't need to attend, but if you don't show up, Management will label you as a bad team player.

There is NO work from home policy. It doesn't matter if there is a hurricane, a huge snow or a state of emergency, you CANNOT work from home. If you like any degree of autonomy, or value any amount of freedom, or a place where you can voice your opinion, please don't work here.

Trust the employees. Do not let the managers take complete control. Stop having meetings for the sake of meetings, and minimize micromanagement. Trust your employees. We are professionals and don't need to be watched over constantly. Allow periodic work from home during inclement weather. This improves quality of life and makes employees happier.

2. Great company!

I worked at MathWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great work environment, good benefits.

Cons

Everything is a bit slow.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks