MathWorks

www.mathworks.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Selling excellent software from a great company

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing better than offering my customers a product I can believe in, that changes the world.
Our internal systems are top-notch, making quoting and managing customers a breeze.
I have enormous respect for Jack and other leaders in the company who have built a hugely successful business while adhering to core values I can believe in.
Employees are treated well, with company outings and other perks. Benefits are good. Stakeholder bonuses put everyone in a position to benefit from doing excellent work.

Cons

Review process is inherently negative - very little attention to what you do right, and lots of attention to areas for imrovement.
Natick-centric attitude: remote employees are rarely brought into day to day decisions, marginalized in meetings.

Find ways to involve the increasing numbers of remote employees. We have a wealth of knowledge and field experience that can add perspective and breadth to MathWorks decisions.

380 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

Fun products for engineers and scientists

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no investers to mess up product development for ledger sheets.

Cons

can't be a cool bean.

Love this job

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

+ Great atmosphere and great people
    + I get to work with a product that people are doing incredible things with
    + Company has had incredible growth throughout its history, and its great to be part of a successful organization
    + Lots of help from my managers
    + I feel my voice is heard, and my team has changed how they do things in a few areas based on some of my feedback
    + Lots of interaction and lateral movement between departments
    + We live our core values on a daily basis, they're not just words on a webpage

Cons

+ The policy of teamwork and collaboration can sometimes go too far resulting in too many meetings.
    + Things can be slow to change sometimes. However I've learned there's a good reason for everything MathWorks does. Nothing exists simply because "that's the way it is". If you don't like the way something is done, my advice is to first learn the reasoning behind why it is done that way.
    + I guess there isn't much room for promotion, but I'm not sure what people expect. I was hired into an entry level position and if I was promoted five times I'd be the CEO. Can't provide more room for promotions without adding more layers of management!
    + In some areas we can be more reactive than proactive towards meeting technology trends, but only in some areas.

Cut down on the meetings and be more proactive towards our market.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks