MathWorks

www.mathworks.com
  www.mathworks.com
There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Love this job

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

+ Great atmosphere and great people
+ I get to work with a product that people are doing incredible things with
+ Company has had incredible growth throughout its history, and its great to be part of a successful organization
+ Lots of help from my managers
+ I feel my voice is heard, and my team has changed how they do things in a few areas based on some of my feedback
+ Lots of interaction and lateral movement between departments
+ We live our core values on a daily basis, they're not just words on a webpage

Cons

+ The policy of teamwork and collaboration can sometimes go too far resulting in too many meetings.
+ Things can be slow to change sometimes. However I've learned there's a good reason for everything MathWorks does. Nothing exists simply because "that's the way it is". If you don't like the way something is done, my advice is to first learn the reasoning behind why it is done that way.
+ I guess there isn't much room for promotion, but I'm not sure what people expect. I was hired into an entry level position and if I was promoted five times I'd be the CEO. Can't provide more room for promotions without adding more layers of management!
+ In some areas we can be more reactive than proactive towards meeting technology trends, but only in some areas.

Cut down on the meetings and be more proactive towards our market.

362 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

Overall Value Is Fine, which Isn't True in China

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company's core value at headquarters is not only eloquent, but also practical and realistic, and taken by so many employees working over there. Plus, the product is heavenly brilliant.

Cons

And yet, the core value and corporate culture seem not to be disseminated very well around the world, at least in China. The management is China is bureaucratic, chaotic, and unfair, which has been arousing increasing dissatisfaction of many employees.

Adapt its culture as per different culture around the world, and really push the implementation of its core value globally.

MathWorks is a great place to work and learn - don't listen to the complainers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome Culture - Excellent Perks - Great Management! I've seen a lot of people complain on this site about the culture, working style, rigid processes and slow decision making - honestly, after more than a year in this company, I have no idea where they are coming from! This is an amazing place to work - learn and live. I cannot believe I almost fell for the negative reviews here before joining the company. The only people who complain are the ones who are not innovative or strong enough to drive change! Yes - a lot of the times the decisions involves senior management - but they give you a complete freedom to come up with ideas, innovate and prepare a sensible plan - the ideas that get canned are either idiotic are the people bringing those ideas do not have enough expertise in their field or lack confidence in their own thoughts. Over 70% of the workforce at MathWorks have been here 5 years or more - that's proof enough! If you are smart, enjoy your work and have a good manager, you will love it here. PS: Any company you go to, if your manager is bad you are not going to make it - so don't be stupid and judge your manager during your interview and then decide. 9/10 Managers I work with at MathWorks are superb - helpful, supportive, smart and extremely talented in their jobs. Interview process is indeed rigourous, but the result is you rarely see idiots or people who can't fit into the culture being hired.

Also, after your first year your quarterly bonus starts to jump high, so that makes up for the meager salary hikes - it can reach upto 20-25% of your yearly salary in your 2nd year!

Cons

Salary and Level hikes in the first 2-3 years are meager, so make sure you negotiate a good salary when you join.

Don't listen to the complainers - it's a great place to work and everyone on the outside is just jealous they never fit in (for their own fault)!

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks