MathWorks

www.mathworks.com
There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Love this job

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

+ Great atmosphere and great people
+ I get to work with a product that people are doing incredible things with
+ Company has had incredible growth throughout its history, and its great to be part of a successful organization
+ Lots of help from my managers
+ I feel my voice is heard, and my team has changed how they do things in a few areas based on some of my feedback
+ Lots of interaction and lateral movement between departments
+ We live our core values on a daily basis, they're not just words on a webpage

Cons

+ The policy of teamwork and collaboration can sometimes go too far resulting in too many meetings.
+ Things can be slow to change sometimes. However I've learned there's a good reason for everything MathWorks does. Nothing exists simply because "that's the way it is". If you don't like the way something is done, my advice is to first learn the reasoning behind why it is done that way.
+ I guess there isn't much room for promotion, but I'm not sure what people expect. I was hired into an entry level position and if I was promoted five times I'd be the CEO. Can't provide more room for promotions without adding more layers of management!
+ In some areas we can be more reactive than proactive towards meeting technology trends, but only in some areas.

Cut down on the meetings and be more proactive towards our market.

372 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

Overall Value Is Fine, which Isn't True in China

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company's core value at headquarters is not only eloquent, but also practical and realistic, and taken by so many employees working over there. Plus, the product is heavenly brilliant.

Cons

And yet, the core value and corporate culture seem not to be disseminated very well around the world, at least in China. The management is China is bureaucratic, chaotic, and unfair, which has been arousing increasing dissatisfaction of many employees.

Adapt its culture as per different culture around the world, and really push the implementation of its core value globally.

Fun products for engineers and scientists

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no investers to mess up product development for ledger sheets.

Cons

can't be a cool bean.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks