There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Bright people, continual learning, great products & diverse applications - it's why I've stayed so long!

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MathWorks is a great place to work. It's a collaborative environment with bright people. MATLAB & Simulink are great products that really 'make a difference' in the world and have a very broad range of applications in science, engineering, and finance. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and develop, both formally and informally. It's a very stable company that has been profitable since its inception and is growing as fast as it can hire good people! The CEO is a role model for learning and self-improvement; he has personally grown the company from 2 people to over 2500.

Cons

MathWorks don't lead the way in encouraging flexible work options e.g. home-working, part-time working.

Advice to Management

Encourage more integration between the MATLAB and Simulink teams. I believe we can shift a little on flexibility and still maintain our collaborative culture and strong work-ethic.

reviews filtered by
  1. Selling excellent software from a great company

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing better than offering my customers a product I can believe in, that changes the world.
    Our internal systems are top-notch, making quoting and managing customers a breeze.
    I have enormous respect for Jack and other leaders in the company who have built a hugely successful business while adhering to core values I can believe in.
    Employees are treated well, with company outings and other perks. Benefits are good. Stakeholder bonuses put everyone in a position to benefit from doing excellent work.

Cons

Review process is inherently negative - very little attention to what you do right, and lots of attention to areas for imrovement.
    Natick-centric attitude: remote employees are rarely brought into day to day decisions, marginalized in meetings.

Advice to Management

Find ways to involve the increasing numbers of remote employees. We have a wealth of knowledge and field experience that can add perspective and breadth to MathWorks decisions.

2. Fun products for engineers and scientists

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no investers to mess up product development for ledger sheets.

Cons

can't be a cool bean.