There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Great Company! But too preferential to technical employees.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Natick, MA
Former Employee - Sales Support in Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MathWorks is a well-oiled machine. They have great on-boarding programs that introduce you to the culture and set you up to succeed in your position. They are a very staff-oriented company and every department seems to be relaxed - even sales.

Cons

Growing your salary can be difficult, especially for a non-technical employee.

Management is involved in too many meetings. This can make them unavailable to staff and can really just be a huge waste of time. Save everyone an hour by sending out a solid email.

349 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

Solid company, interesting culture, smart people caught in a cycle of repetitive behavior

Current Employee - Technical Business in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Business in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+you get an office
    +free breakfast on Wednesday and cookies on Friday
    +half the time it is a rational culture making the right decisions
    +bonuses are paid quarterly

Cons

-Your pay will never align to outside professionals doing the same job or less, regardless of what HR tells you
    -the review process is over engineered (like much of MWs') and your direct manager will be evaluated on how critical he/she is of you. If you don't impale yourself with "I can do better sword" your manager will do it for you.
    -raises beyond 2-3% are non existent, but be prepared for .5-1% if you are new and not getting the MW's culture. Promotions are like sightings of Big Foot? Has there ever been a sighting of Big Foot in Massachusetts?
    -From above, the other half of the time you will be in meetings, about the previous meeting, where we discussed the other meetings and the cross collaboration that we needed to gather more information. Welcome to MW's cross collaboration model of controlled cultural ciaos. Don't stray from this model, but if you do get prepared for your first lecture on MW's unique culture from your manager. I stopped asking questions a couple of years ago and life is MW's good.

Like most smart MathWorkers, I'll pass on this one. I've adjusted to MW's culture and learned how to survive it.

Good company

I have been working at MathWorks

Pros

Great products. Solid, stable and growing company. Generally very good at self correcting.

Cons

There are politics like any other company and there are favored individuals and groups. If you are in that category you are all set. Takes a long time for advancement. Average salaries but bonus program is very good, especially if you wait long enough for a good performance rating.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks