MathWorks

www.mathworks.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

A well-respected company with a solid product line and future!

Current Employee - IT Professional in Natick, MA
Current Employee - IT Professional in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MathWorks is a world-renowned company making the best tools possible. Highly technical and smart people.

My major kudos to:
- Quarterly (profit sharing) bonuses helps significantly with the base salary.
- Free breakfast/cookies/drinks.
- Nice gestures of appreciation (i.e. Ice cream day, annual MW weekend in NH).
- Extremely solid company expanding for future growth and reinvesting; job is well-secured.
- Nice, collaborative environment, friendly workers all around campus.

Cons

My major gripes:
- Too much micro-management, not enough trust. Can't get my work done independently and move on without being constantly bothered by another meeting, a process or workflow change, or the status of something.
- Lower than average base salary for doing a hell of a job.
- Not enough opportunities for in-house training or courses (unless it's MATLAB or coding related).
- Performance reviews are long and drawn out for a small salary increase.
- People need to learn to do their homework before escalating the easiest problems that can be fixed by the power of Google, even if you're not tech-savvy.

Management doesn't listen well enough to their team members who get the work done. Your opinion doesn't matter. It will be their way or the highway.

380 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

An excellent place to work, if you like to be challenged

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will definitely be challenged and encouraged to take initiative at MathWorks. People who work hard get rewarded and those who slack off are gone quickly. You don't have to leave the company to get a good merit increase, and profit sharing is excellent. MathWorks is a great working atmosphere with small perks that help keep employees happy.

Cons

Although the company is trying to hold on to small-company values, it is growing rapidly. As a result, more blanket policies and formal processes are being applied which hinder creativity and innovation.

Continue rewarding people who take initiative and work hard, and get rid of those who don't perform. Challenge the value of blanket policies and processes, including those trying to penny-pinch budgets. Some processes may add more employee labor cost than the expense they would save.

Solid company, interesting culture, smart people caught in a cycle of repetitive behavior

Current Employee - Technical Business in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Business in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+you get an office
    +free breakfast on Wednesday and cookies on Friday
    +half the time it is a rational culture making the right decisions
    +bonuses are paid quarterly

Cons

-Your pay will never align to outside professionals doing the same job or less, regardless of what HR tells you
    -the review process is over engineered (like much of MWs') and your direct manager will be evaluated on how critical he/she is of you. If you don't impale yourself with "I can do better sword" your manager will do it for you.
    -raises beyond 2-3% are non existent, but be prepared for .5-1% if you are new and not getting the MW's culture. Promotions are like sightings of Big Foot? Has there ever been a sighting of Big Foot in Massachusetts?
    -From above, the other half of the time you will be in meetings, about the previous meeting, where we discussed the other meetings and the cross collaboration that we needed to gather more information. Welcome to MW's cross collaboration model of controlled cultural ciaos. Don't stray from this model, but if you do get prepared for your first lecture on MW's unique culture from your manager. I stopped asking questions a couple of years ago and life is MW's good.

Like most smart MathWorkers, I'll pass on this one. I've adjusted to MW's culture and learned how to survive it.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks