There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Natick, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Frequently get to work on new technologies and projects. The company culture promotes collaboration and a positive environment. The company also invests in employees by providing excellent technical training.

Cons

There doesn't appear to be a lot of opportunities for advancement. However, since every employee's voice is heard during development, you can contribute greatly without being a manager.

349 Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks (View Most Recent)

Institutionalized Dysfunction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable revenue stream, no threat of layoffs, decent campus in Natick with some creature comforts (gym, for-pay cafeteria, pastry counter, etc.).Benefits are okay. This company has been around for three decades, and will likely persist for many years to come.

Cons

Sub-par salaries (by a wide margin). BIZARRE corporate culture of micromanagement and fear. Don't say the phrase "Open Source" anywhere. It's taboo. Don't suggest changing systems or procedures that are already in place. That's taboo. Don't refuse to go to ANY company event. The Eye of Sauron will quickly swivel your way. You WILL feel its baleful, needy glare.

The CEO is excessively invested in minutiae to a pathological degree. Whether it's the widgets on your desktop system and its power management settings, or the color of the walls in the hallway, he has a strong opinion about it. I didn't believe the story about him setting guidelines for mounting clocks in conference rooms based on the position of screws in the whiteboards... until I heard about it from multiple coworkers.

This place will stress you out while paying less than any other company would consider reasonable. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

It's well past time to break the seals on your company's airtight culture and CHANGE. Change is scary. It's also what keeps your company vital, successful and competitive. Delegate better, trust your (rigorously-screened) employees to make changes without obsessive levels of scrutiny, and stop getting bent out of shape about trivial things! Focus on your lagging mobile and cloud offerings, not the layout of your intranet site!

Additionally, Big Picture Orientation is one of the creepiest things I've ever endured in my entire career. Subjecting people to over a week of indoctrination so that they can hear how the legal and finance departments function is (once again) needlessly obsessive!

The MathWorks has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a wonderful atmosphere, challenging problems, and passionate people.

The company is investing in new offices and facilities in order to ensure a nice, modern working environment. Additionally, the Core Values of The MathWorks help to create an atmosphere of creative, rational, kind, passionate people.

Everyday, we work to improve our software and our understanding of the ways people use our software.

The company is wonderfully diverse in terms of ethnicities, skills, and interests, which helps to foster groups forming for people that share common passions.

Cons

As with any medium to large company, the bureaucracy can occasionally feel like a burden.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks