Mathematica Policy Research

A Good Company To Work For As A Field Interviewer

Current Employee - Field Interviewer
Current Employee - Field Interviewer

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research part-time

Pros

I have been a professional field interviewer for more than 10 years, and have worked for most of the survey, polling and market resarch companies during this time. Mathematica is my favorite company to work for. The pay is on par or better than other places, the supervisors are friendly and supportive,their flexible with scheduling, they pay per diems for meals, and they send out the expense checks ON TIME. More than I can say for other places.

Cons

Some of the trainings have been mediocre; some of the junior trainers were a bit scattered. But all and all, not too bad

56 Other Employee Reviews for Mathematica Policy Research (View Most Recent)

Good pay, predictable work, poor work environment

Current Employee - Researcher II
    Current Employee - Researcher II

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Every employee, besides secretaries, gets their own office
    2) Mathematica has a good reputation in the field
    3) The pay and benefits are probably better than average for these types of firms
    4) Mathematica gets good contracts and interesting work

Cons

1) Limited professional development opportunities, especially for junior staff
    2) Co-workers are competent but not self-reflective about their craft.
    3) The culture is predictable (a plus to some) but bland. I've worked places with a much more interesting, dynamic, and diverse corporate culture.
    4) Some staff in the human services research division lack professionalism. Personal relationships often drive business decisions and staff are treated differently based upon their personal relationships.
    5) Mathematica does not hold staff, especially senior staff and project directors, accountable to expectations and policies.
    6) There's a perception that the "Mathematica way" is the best way; there is a lot of pressure to conform.
    7) As other reviewers have mentioned, Mathematica's commitment to diversity, especially in the human services research division, is suspect at best. I'd encourage you to read what others have said here on Glassdoor about diversity because I think they are correct.

Hold staff accountable to corporate policies. Create procedures to limit the role of personal relationships in professional decisions. Focus on increasing diversity and valuing different perspectives.

Unfulfilling job working for managers who lack efficacy

Current Employee - Survey Researcher II
    Current Employee - Survey Researcher II

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research

Pros

- the salary and benefits are good.

- at the researcher level, the private office space is very nice

- it's a very polite workplace

Cons

- the talents of survey researchers with advanced degrees are being wasted in the survey division

- the survey work is boring, almost entirely focused on managing survey operations, and there is NO way to get interesting research work at all. Additionally, there is a lack of understanding of what survey research or methodology is, even by senior survey management.

- Mathematica is very behind the times on survey technology

- managers consistently disrespect staff they don't like. I speak from the perspective of someone in the Survey division (I suspect the situation is different in the Research division). But once you're branded, you can't get interesting work. This never happened to me, but I have seen it happen to many colleagues.

- the lack of diversity among researchers and survey researchers is frustrating. Other reviewers have commented on this very nicely, so I won't repeat things except to say that the lip service given to "diversity" is bothersome.

- Senior leadership in the survey division is frustratingly rigid and not open to suggestion. They take suggestions and requests as personal attacks, as though asking to work on a project when they didn't originally think of you for it is somehow disrespecting their authority. They will give lip service to hearing your concerns, but I haven't ever seen them actually take constructive criticism into account.

Nothing in my review is news to anyone. Survey staff have been saying these things for years. But for what it's worth, rethink how you hire in the survey division or rethink how you divide work between the survey and research departments. Take diversity more seriously. Hire better senior managers in the survey division. I think they are a big reason we see so many good people leave the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Mathematica Policy Research