There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

High Drama, Bad Politics & Mega MicroManagement - Run in the other direction!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The idea of working at a toy company is kinda cool. 50% discount on all unlicensed items (Barbie and monster high is only 30% off). Nice area of El Segundo. Good benefits.

Cons

If you are thinking about coming to work for Mattel, please read this carefully. I'm not a disgruntled employee...but I am an unhappy employee....and there are many of us who vent to each other daily. Mattel is filled with a lot of older people in powerful positions who aren't going anywhere. They micro manage like I've never seen before. They want you to do your work, be creative and innovative....but unless you can mind read.....it doesn't really work. The politics and drama are high. No one is direct with you and expects that you come in a conform to the "Mattel Way" I'd seriously tell you to RUN in the other direction. Wish I had better news.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate those you have in high-level positions.

reviews filtered by

Mattel; one of the best places to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a reason why this company has been voted one of the best places to work. The people, benefits (daycare onsite, gym onsite, cleaners onsite, medical/dental). If you love working with passionate, collaborative people, then this is definitely the place for you.

Cons

Mattel would serve there employees by being more transparent to the road of promotions. There is not always a clear path, and the obscuity may lead to a perception of politics to promote versus capabilities/commitment.

Advice to Management

You have a group of employees who have a lot of creative, thoughtful ideas on how to make the company more successful. You don't always need to rely on outside consultants to tell you what your team may already know. You can extract that value by ensuring people do not fell penalized for coming up with ideas that may not be successful.

2. Overall my time at Mattel was pretty positive and great learning experience.

Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel

Pros

The company is great and takes good care of their employees. On site toy store and gym. Frequent events to build camaraderie within teams.

Cons

Mattel is still a massive corporation. Long lines and red tape.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattel