There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

High Drama, Bad Politics & Mega MicroManagement - Run in the other direction!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The idea of working at a toy company is kinda cool. 50% discount on all unlicensed items (Barbie and monster high is only 30% off). Nice area of El Segundo. Good benefits.

Cons

If you are thinking about coming to work for Mattel, please read this carefully. I'm not a disgruntled employee...but I am an unhappy employee....and there are many of us who vent to each other daily. Mattel is filled with a lot of older people in powerful positions who aren't going anywhere. They micro manage like I've never seen before. They want you to do your work, be creative and innovative....but unless you can mind read.....it doesn't really work. The politics and drama are high. No one is direct with you and expects that you come in a conform to the "Mattel Way" I'd seriously tell you to RUN in the other direction. Wish I had better news.

Re-evaluate those you have in high-level positions.

230 Other Employee Reviews for Mattel (View Most Recent)

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time for more than a year

Pros

A professional environment, good to have Mattel on your resume

Cons

Long hours, promotions based on who you know and loyalty; not as fun as the company promotes its image to be

Now counting minutes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Mattel part-time

Pros

Having a job at this time
    Some discounts at toy stores and some companies

Cons

Only part-time
    Have to be a fmaily member, know someone well, or be one of the click to get a 30 to 40 hour a weel job.
    Then an only then your numbers better be up there or you can't even bid on a job.

This is about working at the East Auroa, NY campus. Miss the happy times in consumer relations where you cold take to a peer, enjoyed the contests, parties, etc. But now, it is gone. The Consumer Relations department has turned into a Call Center. Now we have to clock ourselves to go to the bathroom, while the rest of the site can go without being regulated. It is sad as the Consumer Relations, takes care of the entire country and Canada and we are treated so poorly.

There was much higher production when we were under different management. Current Management of the CR department has really gone down, have people that have never worked in a Consumer Relations department (from Bank, Grocery Store) now making this a true call center with very low pay, and what ever they say goes. Maybe you need to sit in and take the calls and be clocked for bathroom and break privileges. Remember you only get about 5 minutes over 1 hour in a 9 hour day and NO BREAKS after 5:00 pm EST. See if you can hold it like so many of have to and then be in tears as your bladder is about to explode and if we leave the floor and go over by 1 second we fail the schedule adherence.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!