Mattel

www.mattel.com
  www.mattel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Mattel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Mattel. It was both a creative and collaborative work environment. Even as an intern my ideas and opinions were valued, and I was treated as an equal team member.

Cons

I really cannot think of very many negatives about working here. It did feel very corporate at times, and that we were having to go through certain motions to merely comply with the corporation's standards.

254 Other Employee Reviews for Mattel (View Most Recent)

Culture of constant change is unnecessarily exhausting.

I have been working at Mattel full-time

Pros

Many wonderful colleagues to learn from and work with.

Cons

Too much top-down driven change has negative impact on work life balance.

Ask for feedback from the lower levels. There are pockets of incompetence in low level management.

Fisher-Price is expendable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; Good vacation time; 10 days off at Christmas; Half-day Fridays; Fitness center; Cafeteria; Discount cards for Toy store (for friends & family); and the people are amazing!

Cons

--Mattel does not understand the culture at Fisher-Price, nor have they tried. By virtue of the products they make, FP has to market to moms, and Mattel has never, ever figured out how different that is than selling to older kids.
    --The El Segundo HQ has always looked-down their noses at the Fisher-Price campus, making us feel perpetually like unwanted step-children.
    --The brand has not changed with the times, and is dying. Cuts to marketing budgets did not give the relaunch of the brand the best chance to flourish, and they haven’t given it enough time to work. So what do they do? Reorganize! (They reorganize every 18 to 24 months.)
    --The brand is no longer relevant because a handful of SVPs have micro-managed product and marketing to point that nothing is new or fresh.
    --The disparity between senior management and staff is significant, and most people do not feel as if top management knows what’s going on.
    --If you know somebody or happen to have a supportive boss, then you get promoted. If your boss checked-out years ago and is waiting for his “package,” then you go nowhere.
    --Mattel keeps saying they are committed to staying in East Aurora, NY (where Fisher-Price was founded), yet they keep chipping away at the functions housed there piece by piece. The last 6 or 7 years have been hellish.
    --I predict Mattel will shut-down the East Aurora campus , and that as a brand, Fisher-Price will become meaningless.

--First and foremost, stop trying to mold Fisher-Price into your idea of what a toy company should be. It doesn't fit and it never has. Give them the tools, money and time to do their own thing and see if it works, because what you've implemented has not worked!
    --There is a group of long-standing senior management that needs to go!
    --Provide adequate resources instead of heaping more and more work on fewer and fewer people.
    --Actually train managers to manage people properly.
    --Add some fun back into the workplace. (It’s a toy company; it’s supposed to be fun!)
    --And guys, if you do decide to move the brand to California, do it soon and spare a lot of really good people the anguish of lay-off rumors every other week.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattel