It's on the Top 100 Best places to work for a reason... It does make sense to me.

Current Employee - Manager  in  El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Although I have only been here for a short time, I got really nervous looking at some the feedback prior to accepting the job offer. There was some really critical things that turned me off based on the reviews. However through the interview process I did not find the concerns raised to be reflective of the people I met with. Under a year with Mattel and I can share with all that read this, that I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to move here. I had a great gig where I was at before, so I had no reason to move except for the challenge of working at the largest toy maker. The biggest 'pro" for me so far is the people I work with. I have really been impressed with the cordial and friendly atmosphere that seems to be all over. There are some unhappy people, don't get me wrong, but from what I can tell, its seems to be from very old time folks who are still upset about the layoffs that happened a few years ago and restructuring that's taken place. But all in all, I'm very happy so far. Comp and benefits is really good too. Love having Xmas to New Years off without affecting vacation, sweet!! Plus everyone is off too, so email and backlog is almost non-existant when come back after the New Year. Double sweet!

Cons

In regards to politics, I have observed the concern raised by others, but the reality is that exists in every large organization. One difference here I noticed is that people do 'check-in' with folks not because it's the political thing to do, but because they want to be inclusionary (which is not a bad thing) when making big decisions.
The HQ office is tough to get too unless you live in the west side of LA area. Although they have an onsite cafe with lots of variety, there are very few dining options (walking distance) when you just feel like going outside. Parking also sucks unless you got a reserved spot that is not just for compact cars (very minor irritation).

Try to continue to communicate the direction, you cannot have too much. There are still people (from what I can tell) who still don't "get" what is happening. We have great products, we have a good place to work. What seems to frustrate long-time employees is the accordian approach last few years (expand and cut back, expand and cut back). But I can't speak to that since I can only reflect on 2010 & 2011.

Other Reviews for Mattel

Mattel is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel

Pros

Mattel has good benefits, amenities and is in a great location. There is a lot of energy, and an atmosphere of dedication among the intelligent and vibrant employees.

Cons

Mattel asks a lot of its employees. There is a lot of work which needs to be done, often on tight schedules, with minimal staffing. Layoffs are not uncommon.

Mattel needs to spend a lot more time and effort on training its supervisors how to be supervisors, and how to be motivators. There needs to be emphasis put on being good managers, not just getting the work done.

Good for a year maybe 2

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great work life balance.

Cons

Interview process - 7 people over 1 month.
    Lack of promotion and ability for growth. There is rampant micromanaging and it's very hierarchical.
    Frequent reorgs
    People very often leave and come back to the company to get promoted.
    They innovation is becoming very stale or by innovation you mean taking ideas from inventors. People stay in the same position for 5 - 10 years and deliver the same formats.

Provide ownership in projects and opportunities for growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattel.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!