There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

Human capital is the greatest asset... not convinced Sr. Mgmt understands this currently

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Some of the most creative people I've come across--I'm inspired on a daily basis by many members of my team.
Great vacation time---week off between Christmas--New Years and mini "Spring Break"
Mattel walks the walk for product safety
Fun-loving environment
People take pride in the work they do
Diverse resources to get projects done--from in-house media, production, research

Cons

Work-life balance depends on department and mgr. style
Debilitating politics--very demoralizing
Top heavy with not enough worker bees and lower levels getting burnt out--many different job functions are over workload capacity.
Although it's a fun loving environment, after the last round of layoffs the moral is down from being overworked.
Lots of reorgs that are disruptive to teams--most of these reorgs seem more reactionary than strategic

Advice to Management

Our business depends on happy creative teams and our human capital is our greatest asset. Don't focus on saving a few marginal dollars if it means overloading people and not leaving time to sit back and think of the next great idea.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good for a year maybe 2

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great work life balance.

Cons

Interview process - 7 people over 1 month.
    Lack of promotion and ability for growth. There is rampant micromanaging and it's very hierarchical.
    Frequent reorgs
    People very often leave and come back to the company to get promoted.
    They innovation is becoming very stale or by innovation you mean taking ideas from inventors. People stay in the same position for 5 - 10 years and deliver the same formats.

Advice to Management

Provide ownership in projects and opportunities for growth.

An exciting, fun, leading edge, global experience, working with very high caliber people.

Former Employee - Vice President Category Management in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Category Management in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel

Pros

1) Fast moving and growing creates opportunities
    2) Everyone knows your business so long lasting discussions with friends and other contacts
    3) Far ahead of everyone in methods, processes, technology, globalization and many other issues. I have worked for very big recognizable companies that are years behind Mattel in these areas.
    4) The people are challenging, direct, a bit abrasive, brilliant and unafraid of taking risks.
    5) If you deliver and perform and "toot" your own horn you will be recognized and rewarded..
    7) By far the most creative group of people I have ever worked with. Everyday was a discovery of something exciting. They are merging technology with creativity and creating new play patterns that are exciting. In the cons there is a huge challenge.

Cons

1) Long hours and if you travel you can be gone a long time
    2) The most political company I ever worked for. In my situation I was lucky, I had a very high level mentor and protector.
    3) This is the worst, people who are high performers and do not sell themselves every day are not recognized. I had to dig to find them and then train them to sell themselves.
    4) It is possible to be capable of selling yourself and not capable of delivering and get rewarded over those who deliver. 3) and 4) go together.
    5) The toy business is shrinking and being replaced by the electronics consumer products and services. Mattel is slow to react. They should be a leader. Mattel's electronic debacle of the 1970s is still remembered by the board and is shunting their growth
    6) They have yet to figure out what to do with "tween girls. 7-12 year old girls in the USA and all of Europe dramatically reduced their play time with toys and have increased their purchases of teen like products and services. They must solve this problem. There are some 30 million girls in this age group. A country by itself.

Advice to Management

The board of directors is well balanced. Five years from now the world will not look like it does now and there will be major changes in a child's play pattern. As a strategy, Mattel needs to get out in front of these changes to seize the market. Right now they appear to be one to two years behind. I give you one example. Steven Jobs and the iPhone. Think about what Apple did outside of its comfort zone in a crowded market with huge competition. In two years they took a huge market share. Mattel of the old days, used to do that.